What’s New at Disneyland and Worth Checking Out!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

With a new year, comes new attractions, food and more at Disneyland… But is it all worth your time and money? LMU is so close to Disneyland it’s popular as an “Off the Bluff” activity, club event or even a trip with your friends! As a Disney fanatic, I find it fun to keep up with what’s new at Disneyland so here I am to report it to you!

The biggest addition to Disneyland in 2019 is Star Wars Galaxy Edge, which is listed to open in June. The Star Wars themed land will be Batuu with the main focus being Batuu village, which will feature a new restaurant, Black Spire Outpost. The attractions at Star Wars Galaxy Edge are supposed to be the most interactive at any Disney park yet. Galaxy Edge is stated to feature two new attractions, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Millennium Falcon: Smugglers run is similar to Toy Story Mania or Buzz Lightyear as the objective is to shoot enemies and navigate through the galaxy, but the characters in the attraction respond directly to how well the rider guides the ship! There’s plenty of information provided on Disney fan blogs and with the new release statements from Disney. This land is also supposed to feature food stalls and dining similar to in the movies, such as Oga’s Cantina. Many have also expressed concerns about the future of star wars character greets in the Star Wars Launch Bay as well as the current Star Tours ride in Disneyland park. While these have not been directly addressed many speculate they will continue running, even if their locations are changed!

My meet and greet with Chewie!

While I could go on and on about the new land and everything they have released thus far, that’s only part of the article and you’ll learn more from a real Disney blogger. The real question is… Is Star Wars Galaxy Edge worth the time and money? This one is tricking, because clearly I have not yet experienced it. This is the most anticipated addition to Disneyland yet and Disney is preparing for extremely large crowds once the land opens (as if they do not already have large crowds)! That being said it is likely very worth it, but possibly after some time. Many Disney instagrammers have suggested or stated that they are waiting until almost a full year after the new land has opened to go see it, in an effort to avoid absurd crowds! Disneyland (and World) have also stated that they are making efforts to control the amount of people in the land so everyone has a chance to check it out, but there is no actual information on this yet. If Disney does provide a system allowing every guest a specific time in Galaxy Edge, a trip to Disneyland would be worth it to see this special themed land.

While Star Wars Galaxy Edge is the largest addition and most anticipated newness at Disneyland, it is not the only thing. Disneyland also introduced the “Get Your Ears On” celebration which is essentially one big party for Mickey and Minnie Mouse since they turned 90 at the end of 2018! This party has been so fun to watch as it continues on with new food additions, fun parades and dance parties, plus cute Disney merch! If you are willing to spend money on a park ticket, then I would suggest going (probably before june to miss the crowds for Galaxy Edge) and immersing yourself ! Here’s some highlights in case you do go: Mickey/Minnie Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes in Toon Town (it’s a chocolate chip cookie made as a cupcake!), Birthday Mickey Beignets at Cafe New Orleans, and DJ Mickey!

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes dressed up as Mickey and Minnie!

Disney California Adventure Pixar Pier also opened in the later half of 2018, but still has new additions coming in 2019 including a Pixar themed carousel ride and another ride themed based off the movie Inside Out. Disneyland is also supposedly adding a Lion King show at Disney California Adventure in 2019 as well, likely in conjunction with the release of a new Lion King movie this summer.

Another new addition that has been occuring at Disneyland is After Dark Events. Of all the new additions I would highly suggest some of these after dark events. If you have been to Disneyland or go often these are perfect to change it up, but still get the Disney magic! The events cost less than a normal day pass to Disneyland (they are still expensive running just above $100) and they grant guests access to the park (generally only one park but it is specified) from 9pm -1am. The park is only open to those guests who purchased the events tickets at those times, which is a large part of the appeal. Only one has occurred so far, Sweethearts’ Night, but there are 2 more scheduled plus Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. Sweethearts’ Night featured characters and couples not regularly seen in the parks for exclusive photo opportunities and meet and greets. The event usually includes an exclusive experience, themed food, and themed merchandise available only at that event. Another large plus is the unlimited PhotoPass downloads, meaning any professional photos you have taken by a cast member are included in your ticket price! At the end of April/beginning of May they have a Hero’s Assemble Night event which will take place in Disney California Adventure to include the Guardians of the Galaxy ride, Incredicoaster and more from Pixar Pier! If you don’t have a full day, want to save a little money, and love special magic experiences then these events are especially for you!

I am not a Disney expert, but Disney has some new fun attractions and events taking place that I wanted to share with LMU students since we are so close by!