This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

With our busy schedules, lack of money and lack of time for grocery shopping, cooking homemade meals in college can seem nearly impossible.  After learning to cook with my mom this summer and shadowing her while grocery shopping, I now feel comfortable cooking all of my meals every day.  The biggest problem I currently have isn’t a lack of time but a lack of creativity.  I didn’t want to get bored making the same thing over and over.  So, I started watching a bunch of “What I Eat in a Day” videos on YouTube to get inspiration and thought I’d share what I’ve learned!

Breakfast: Overnight Oats

This past summer, I was an avocado toast fiend and ate it pretty much every day.  While it is still one of my go-to breakfasts, I recently ran out of avocados and had to improvise with what I had in my pantry.  I decided to try and make overnight oats for the first time and haven’t touched my coveted avocado toast since.  In the spirit of the upcoming holidays, I made pumpkin overnight oats and it took me literally five minutes.

I used…

½ cup of oats

1 tbsp of chia seeds

¼ cup of yogurt

½ cup of pumpkin puree

½ cup of coconut milk

Lots of cinnamon 

You can also add vanilla or honey for additional sweetener.

Next, I shook it all up and put it in the fridge overnight.  The best part of overnight oats is the fact that it is ready for you in the morning and all you have to do is add whatever toppings you want.  I usually top mine with bananas or blueberries, almond butter, and pecans!  This breakfast has seriously been a game-changer and keeps me full for hours!

Lunch: Salad

While my breakfast remains pretty consistent, I usually tend to switch up lunches often because of my busy schedule.  However, I often gravitate towards this Southwestern Chopped Salad from Trader Joe’s because of how delicious and easy it is!  All of the ingredients come ready in this easy bag and all you have to do is dump it in a bowl and mix it together.  Within minutes you are done!  I usually meal prep chicken breasts on Sunday by sautéing them in a skillet to have for the week.  Usually, I’ll add one of those chicken breasts on top of this salad to give me some extra protein and energy.  If Southwestern salad is not your thing, Trader Joe’s also sells other types such as an Asian-inspired salad and kale salad, so there are lots of options!

Snack: Hippeas or RX Bars

I tend to get hungry in the afternoon and always need a snack.  Most of the time I am in class or at the library so I need something I can easily pack in my backpack.  The Hippeas Chickpea Puffs and RX Bars have been my favorites recently!  Today, I had the Hippeas snack; they are so delicious and taste just like cheese puffs without real cheese or carbs!  They are vegan, which is a bonus, and just the right snack to tide you over until dinner.  Although I didn’t have it today, I wanted to mention the RX bar because of how healthy and tasty they are (especially the banana chocolate walnut flavor… my favorite! ).  Bars can be tricky and oftentimes unhealthy, so I appreciate that the RX bars tell you exactly what you’re getting on the front of the package.  Both of these are great snacks that are healthy alternatives to often unhealthy items!

Dinner:  Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

Lastly, because of the colder weather outside, I decided to make a sweet potato and turkey chili!  This dish made my apartment smell so delicious and my roommates were all very jealous!  This recipe (linked above) took me about 30 minutes to prep and was ready within 45 minutes total after having it simmer on the stovetop. (This is not long considering how much food you are making!)  The last time I made this chili, I had it for lunch and dinner for four days straight!  Also, most of the ingredients do not have to be refrigerated, which is a bonus because you don’t have to worry about your food going bad.  This chili is absolutely delicious and it reminds me of my mom’s cooking, which is probably why I love it so much.  With the combination of sweet potatoes and turkey, this dish fills you up completely and leaves you with a warm and full belly!

Tea: Tulsi Detox Tea

I always end my day with a big mug of Pukka Detox Tea.  This tea is great because it speeds my metabolism and starts my digestion before I go to bed.  I wake up never feeling bloated and I believe it’s because I started adding this tea into my nightly routine.  Cuddle up with a blanket and a Christmas movie and enjoy this tea!

BOS - LA Gemini
Her Campus LMU