What to do if you Feel an Earthquake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Last week, L.A’s 3.2 earthquake opened a personal floodgate of natural disaster paranoia. My bed shook viciously, and I ignorantly assumed it was anything from a oddly strong toilet flush, to my roommates shaking the wall. Neither would make any sense, but I was living in my bubble.

More than ever, it seems like our world is at the constant brink of mayhem.  The odds of an earthquake hitting us here at LMU are high, and it’s increasingly important that we understand the importance of preparing and educating ourselves.

In elementary school, we would giggle underneath our desks and whisper to our friends during these mundane drills. Half paying attention, and half relishing in the fact it meant a five minute break from class time. When the baby earthquake hit last week, I began to think about all of the other possibilities- what if it had hit while I was walking to class? What if it was just a little stronger that it woke me from my beauty sleep? What would I really do in the face of natural disaster that did more than just rock my bed.

1. Check your area: If you are in your room, check around for any objects that might fall during the quake, secure them and stay clear of them. In advance, keeping heavier items on the bottom of shelves will assist in organization ahead of time.

2. Protect yourself: Drop it like it’s hot! Get to the ground before the earthquake forces you to. Cover your neck and head and grab onto something sturdy.

1. DO NOT: I repeat, do not, A.) Stand in a doorway B.) Run outside or to other rooms when there is shaking.

Remember, that the greatest threat comes from falling objects raining down and harming you. By keeping your head, neck, and vital organs protected, you are already in a much safer position. It’s always a good idea to have someone local, a family member, or a close friend, that can act as an emergency contact in a time of crisis. Keep track of your important belongings, and definitely don’t spend your free time stressing about the potential of natural disasters. In the long run, we can’t prevent an earthquake, but we can prepare.