Wellness > Health

What Americans Can Do to Help Ukraine Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Posting on Instagram that you stand in solidarity for Ukraine amid Russian attacks may feel effective but won’t do much in the long run. Want to do more than spread awareness?

If you want to help the people of Ukraine and are seeking tips and reliable resources, here are some below:

• An article from the Washington Post provides a link for a website for Care, the international humanitarian juggernaut. A pop-up window appears. “UKRAINE EMERGENCY,” the alert says, with a photo of a woman holding a child. “Families in Ukraine are fleeing violence and urgently need emergency aid. CARE is providing food, water, and more,” the homepage says. The group has partnered with People in Need and hopes to build a fund that can reach 4 million people, especially women, girls and the elderly. Donations for Care can be made here.”
  • Additionally, this article calls attention to Doctors Without Borders, who are partnering with volunteers in Ukraine “to help people travel to health-care facilities and working to ensure that people have access to healthcare and prescribed medications. To support Doctors Without Borders’ Ukraine work, click here.”
  • An article posted by NPR lists organizations like Voices of Children, “which is The Ukrainian organization’s Charitable Foundation helps provide psychological and psychosocial support to children affected by the armed conflict, according to its website.Voices of Children’s efforts of support for kids include art therapy, video storytelling, providing mobile psychologists and even individual help for families.”
  • The Save the Children Foundation also helps to provide aid to vulnerable children in Ukraine. I’ve personally worked with this foundation in helping children within the Aborigional communities in Australia, and they are an extremely effective organization that helps vulnerable and endangered children all over the world by “delivering essential humanitarian aid”. Click here to visit their website and donate. 
  • NPR also provides a link to donate to the International Medical Corps, a global nonprofit that “delivers primary health care and mental health services in eastern Ukraine since 2014, and is raising funds to expand those services for people affected by the latest conflict… Its Ukraine team is preparing to deploy mobile medical teams to provide emergency and primary health services, mental health and psychosocial services and COVID-19 awareness and prevention services for people who have been displaced.”
Hello! I am a Senior English major at LMU. I enjoy writing about topics ranging from health and wellness, fashion and film to social justice issues.