Natalie Pernas Fashion Outfit
Natalie Pernas Fashion Outfit
Original photo by Natalie Pernas

West-Coast Girl becomes East-Coast Girl Amidst a Global Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It was pre-pandemic in June of 2019 in Portland, Oregon. I had just graduated from high school and was ready to take on the adventure of college looming ahead in just a couple of months. My parents, being empty nesters, suddenly broke the news to me that they would be moving to Medford, New Jersey around the same time I’d be settled in Los Angeles. Shockingly, I was in full support of their choice to move back to my dad’s hometown so that he could start a new job. I thought this would be something exciting for my parents and that even though I’d miss Portland, I’d still be able to visit often. I also had the idea etched into my brain that since I was attending college in California, I would mostly be spending my time there, right?

Flash forward to March of 2020… the pandemic strikes! Not to sound dramatic, but my worst fear comes true — I was stuck in a state on the opposite coast from where I want to be. All of my college friends are dispersed, still mostly on the west coast. My high school friends were all back in Oregon, where they were all quarantining with their families, and yet, I still felt left out. I sulked for a while, reminiscing on all of the good times I had had in college and desperately wishing to go back. I finished out the semester of school online, but with very little motivation or happiness. Eventually, my summer plans of visiting Oregon got canceled.

Mid-June 2020 I realized that I very likely would be staying home for fall 2020. Of course, I freaked out, cried, screamed, questioned if I should take a gap year; if you haven’t had a couple of mental breakdowns this year, I applaud you. After weighing out my options, I decided that if I was staying home with my family, in Medford, New Jersey, I was going to make it worthwhile. I got a job at a local farm store, where I serve soft-serve ice cream and make apple cider donuts. This job keeps me busy and has introduced me to a lot of people in my area. I babysit for a couple of families in my town 3-4 times a week. I have become obsessed with spin classes and go to my local studio (they’re open for small class sizes) almost every single day. On top of all of these things, I have a full online class schedule.

Now, I’m not saying to stay sane right now you must cram your schedule, but personally, keeping busy has helped my mental health tremendously. With that being said, I have also learned how to love being by myself. I take pride in my morning routine which includes waking up early, making a to-do list, making my bed, drinking my morning cup of coffee, saying positive affirmations to myself, and trying my best to stay off my phone. My new puppy has become my best friend and such a source of positivity (@gino_shihtzu on Instagram!). Family dinners and movie nights have become a staple in the Pernas household and have really brought our family together. I talk to my friends quite often on Facetime or by sending Snapchat videos. Though I miss seeing these people in person, it feels so good to talk to them and stay in touch. 

If you had asked me a year ago if I’d be able to do what I’m doing now, I would have definitely said no, as I am usually a social butterfly who loves to be around people. Quarantine has allowed for me to grow as an individual, and for that I am grateful. I look forward to returning to Los Angeles soon, but for now, I’m enjoying where I am and what I have been given. 

Natalie Pernas is a sophomore Dance major & Public Relations minor at Loyola Marymount University. She grew up in Portland, OR, but recently relocated to Medford, NJ. Natalie is so excited to join Her Campus this year! When Natalie has free time, she loves taking spin classes, cooking, and drinking iced coffee!
Her Campus LMU