We’re Live….Starting…Now?: The Unspoken Transition Back to In Person Learning 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By Sarah Altieri 

March 15th, 2020. The day that bars, retail shops, restaurants and schools shut down. The world changed in an instant. Everything we knew that was considered “normal” went out the window. Instead of rushing to class speeding down the 405 for that 8am, we had to “zoom in.” More specifically, “zoom in” to the new reality we were facing: having to quarantine and live at home with those closest to us. Many spoke of the “quarantine 15” or having to homeschool kids. Every news anchor talked about “being in this together” in terms of mental health. Zoom thanksgivings, passovers, and game nights became the norm. Our source of everything from cooking class, school, and doctor’s waiting rooms were accessible with the press of a “Join Meeting” button. 

As the pandemic raged on, and infections were climbing, everyone seemed to fall into a new routine heading into Fall 2020. “Blursday” was a term to describe all the days mushing together, as if each day was like the movie Groundhog Day. Wake Up. Log onto Zoom. Attend class. Let’s be honest: I attended without my camera off and on mute (I don’t know about you). Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Professors were having COVID-19 in the forefront of their mind, the workload was not the norm. The main takeaway I took from my time being online was: to be adaptable, and that everything is temporary. Change is OK. It’s OK if sometimes things never remain the same. Change is how we achieve progress and build a better society for all. 

As I started to exit my cocoon of my home, and re-entered society, I began to realize internal fears I never one though before. Having to touch stair rails, come into contact with people, go to public restrooms and spaces that once seemed “normal” was now out of the ordinary. Suddenly, going to places other than the grocery store were seen as blastimous or inconsiderate. Creating even more fear and anxiety. Some were carefree, others were careful. Some wanted to get vaccinated, some didn’t. All of these decisions were voluntary. However, when it comes to school, the decision to continue online learning or go back to in person learning was grappled with by institutions for months. It’s a given fact that going to school is required and unavoidable (in my eyes).  As decisions in Spring of 2021 came trickling out with excitement, “We’re going back to in-person instruction!” others received something more along the lines of, “We will be continuing remote instruction out of an abundance of caution.” I know for myself when I heard that LMU was heading back in person, it played a role in my decision to transfer here. 

While everyone buzzed with chatter online and in person about the decision for the fall, no one ever spoke to this transition: the one where we all re-enter in person communication, relationships, and learning all at the same time. We talked about not having the same access to connections when the pandemic forced everything online. The mental health struggles that many faced during isolation. But, what about the reverse. What about the social anxieties of “re-entry” not just for a concert, or for a movie theatre, but for a place of learning. Not just a workplace, but a place for growing, developing, and becoming our best selves. Yet, no one is talking about the emotions many students, including myself, are facing. Some are afraid to socialize or go to class for fear of catching COVID. Others, like myself, are excited to be socializing again and going to class after being inside for a year and a half. And, some are in-between. 

Just like there was a shock in the beginning of online school, well, there is even a shock to be back in the 3 dimensions. To see, and interact with others. To live with complete strangers and share space. We need to normalize these conversations, and talk about each of our own personal, academic and social goals with each other. To air everything out there, and have honest open conversations. Talking is the first step to creating a safe space for everyone, and for progress to be had in normalizing this “new normal” we all live in. I think expectations also need to be realized. Either if they are being met, or not. I, for one, forgot how draining a full day of sitting at a desk was. Or, that campus was a lot larger than it looked in the pictures, and that I need to be the best roommate, hallmate, and friend I can be to people I meet in terms of my respect, honesty, and  compassion. 

We need to be better about meeting people where they are, and listening to others. That’s the first step for any meaningful conversation. Maybe once we normalize this “new normal” we can work to create a life that was better than we knew it “before COVID.” Clearly, the life, “before COVID” wasn’t everything we needed it to be. So, let’s create a space for everyone to sit at the table. Life can be everything we want it to be and more. 

Change is never easy. But we can work through this together. 

Pull up a chair. Let’s talk about it. 

Hi! My name is Sarah Altieri and I am from sunny Santa Monica California! I am a transfer student to LMU and I could not be more excited to be writing about subjects and topics that I am passionate about with the LMU community. In addition to writing, you can find me catching up on a latest book, sitting by the beach, or listening to Taylor Swift.
I am a Junior at Loyola Marymount University studying business management with a Public Relations minor. I currently hold the VP role in my HC chapter! I love to go to the beach, writing about health and wellness, reading and being with my family and friends!