The Ultimate Guide to Making the Perfect Care Package

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Everyone gets a little homesick; it’s a fact of life. Care packages, however, have the power to cheer you up on even the worst days. As it gets closer to Thanksgiving, everyone, especially people who aren’t going home for Thanksgiving, starts to feel a little homesick. Here are some items that I included in care packages to my friends to help bring home to them.

Gift Cards: The stereotype is true: college students are broke. Dining hall food can get a little repetitive so a gift card to a coffee shop or favorite restaurant is always appreciated. Gas, Amazon, and grocery store gift cards also help with weekly expenses.

Candy: While we all wish we could send homemade goodies to our pals, not all of us have the time (or the oven) to do so. The next best thing has to be sending them their favorite candy. Amazon is great source for getting bulk amounts of candy for cheap.

Essentials: Even the best of us forget to pick up essentials like shampoo or lip balm when we’re running low so help a pal out by gifting cute shower essentials from Lush or The Body Shop.

Stationary: We are in school, after all. Help your friends get over the mid-semester slump by sending them cute highlighters, colorful pens, and some cute postcards (to write to you, of course).

Cough Drops: It’s November which means it’s flu season. Getting sick while living in a dorm is inevitable, so save your pals a trip to the drugstore by including some cough drops in your package!

Hot Cocoa Mix + Mini Marshmallows: Nothing makes you feel cozier than a nice warm cup of cocoa on a cold day. Send instant hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows for a yummy treat they can make in their dorm room. If they aren’t hot cocoa drinkers, their favorite tea bags or Keurig cups work just as well!

Coloring Book: Not all books should be school related! Send your friend an adult coloring book to encourage them to take some time to distress and take care of themselves.

Half of a Friendship Necklace: Friendship necklaces aren’t just for fifth graders! Friendship necklaces are a cute and nostalgic way to show your friend that they complete you.  

Hand-Written Note: Sure, physical gifts are always nice to receive, but nothing beats knowing much your friends miss you. Don’t forget to include a nice note telling your friend how you can’t wait to be reunited!

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball.