This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

One could say that Instagram’s high fashion community is as much about the balance of individualistic style and relevancy when it comes to the ever-changing trends of the industry. The fashionable couple, Nelson Tiberghein and Isabelle Chaput, creators of the Young Emperors Instagram account (@young_emperors), have done this successfully through their eye-catching matching outfits, Wes Anderson-esque videos, and performance art. Their unique take on fashion is reminiscent of the Korean matching couple trend with androgynous styling and unique composition. Since the account was launched in 2018, it has amassed more than 169,000 followers and has been featured in articles by Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Glamour, and Elle Magazine. More recently, Young Emperors created a TikTok account, again attracting thousands of dedicated followers. Even when met with the challenges of quarantine during the onset of COVID-19, Young Emperors posted often. They found unique and unconventional ways to express their artistry through photoshoots and videos.

@young_emperors

On a social media platform where excess and connections and sudden fame thrive, the Young Emperors account is the fun and refreshing approach to fashion we all need. According to an interview with Vogue in March 2020, the couple is originally from Nice and Paris. Tiberghein and Chaput met in 2013 while studying photography in Paris and bonded over their artistic ventures. After beginning a relationship, the duo started creating visual projects under the name Cesar Love Alexander. They then shifted their attention to Instagram, intending to post their matching outfits composed of off the runway looks and their everyday wardrobes. Based in New York, Young Emperors continue to entertain their followers with beautifully crafted photographs and whimsical videos featuring their fantastic looks. Their multi-media approach to fashion is fun and refreshing, just what we need as the world begins another season of uncertainty.

@young_emperors

Perhaps one of the most notable features of their Instagram is the exploration of androgynous fashion. Both Tiberghein and Chaput are often pictured wearing genderless pieces or in videos where their wardrobes items are exchanged. In the filmed performance art posted to their account (usually in public areas), the people who walk by often stare or whisper among themselves. Tiberghein and Chaput’s performance art encourages dialogue and inspires onlookers to reconsider their definitions of art. Young Emperors is an example of an account that provides its followers with fashion-related media with multimedia projects’ skillful incorporation. So, the next time you open up your Instagram and scroll through countless fashion influencers, consider the many forms the artistry of fashion can take!

Hello, my name is Maya Thomas and I'm an English major & Journalism minor from Bellevue, Washington. I love writing about fashion trends, travel, and classic literature!
Her Campus LMU