This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By Nevene Azmy 

Spooky season has officially arrived! It is time to dust off our black clothes and jack-o-lanterns and grab a pumpkin spiced latte. With Halloween right around the corner, it is always fun to grab your ghoul friends (ba dum tss), huddle together, watch some spooky movies and shows that make you want to leave the night light on. 

Lucky for you, I scoured through Netflix and found the five best movies and TV shows that will make you double-check your locks and sleep with one eye open. 

1. Fear Street Trilogy 

Loosely based on the books by R.L. Stine the Fear Street trilogy is made up of three movies that take viewers from the ’90s all the way back to Salem 1666.  A group of friends band together to fight an evil curse that has plagued their town for centuries. Between witches, a never ending supply of serial killers, and rekindling relationships these movies don’t let you breathe.

1. Hush

A suspenseful and heart-pounding story of a deaf writer living alone in the woods, who has to fight for her life when a murderer appears outside of her house. Think of A Quiet Place, but instead of an alien monster, the only monster in this film is a masked man. Which when thinking about it, I’m not sure which is scarier. 

1. Midnight Mass 

What happens when a radical priest arrives onto a small island, performing miracles and turning sinners into God-fearing men? Well, the answer is nothing good comes of that. An eerily familiar presence joins the community on Crockett island and when dark omens cloud the minds of the residents, miracles are being handed out like candy. Things start to take a turn for the worse. Don’t catch yourself sinning on those streets, otherwise, you’ll be a turned into a sinful snack.

1. The Haunting of Hill House 

The Haunting of Hill House is a chilling show about a family that is tormented with visions of their former childhood home. The unexplainable events that occurred in the house follow the siblings well into their adult life and pushed them apart. When one last tragedy strikes the family the siblings must come together to solve the mystery of Hill House.  

1. There’s Someone Inside Your House

Teen drama, masked serial killer, and a group of outcasts that have to unmask the killer, this movie has it all. No one’s secret is safe at Osborne High when a killer wearing masks of victim’s faces seeks out students to enact revenge, while revealing their deepest secrets to the entire student body. 

I am a Senior English major and on the writing team for the LMU chapter!
I am a Junior at Loyola Marymount University studying business management with a Public Relations minor. I currently hold the VP role in my HC chapter! I love to go to the beach, writing about health and wellness, reading and being with my family and friends!