sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top 5 Fun & Frightening Films to Watch This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By: Gisella Joma

Pumpkin carving, eating too much candy, haunted houses, and an excuse to pull out those yoga pants with your favorite fuzzy sweater. Yup, it’s Halloween time! More importantly, it is time to cuddle up with some hot chocolate and put on a good movie.

Here are the top 5 movies and television series Her Campus LMU recommends to get you in the festive spirit:  

1. Hocus Pocus

Let us take a trip down memory lane to our childhood Halloweens spent with the Sanderson Sisters. Embark on a magical journey where the bond between brother and sister conquers all. Together, they defend their town against three hilarious witch sisters who want to stay young and live forever.

2. Sleepy Hollow

If you want a combination of gore and a classic tale, this is the movie to watch this Halloween. Follow Ichabod Crane as he enters the small town Sleepy Hallow to solve the mystery of the Headless Horseman. Or you can watch it because Johnny Depp is in it, no explanation necessary.

3. American Horror Story: Murder House (or any season)

This first season of this television series starts off as any typical Halloween tale: a family moves into a home that is haunted. Haunted by what, you may ask? It is difficult to explain because the answer is ghosts, but the kind of ghosts that enjoy murdering in cold blood. Needless to say, this show will scare you and your friends more than you probably anticipated or wanted.   

4. Rear Window

No one does thriller better than Hitchcock. Imagine being stuck in a wheel chair, unable to move or really go anywhere. Out of boredom, you look out the window. You start to notice one of your neighbors is acting strange, and you dig a little deeper only to learn that a possible murder may have happened in your own backyard. Remember, curiosity really did kill the cat.

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas

This movie is the best of both worlds: Christmas and Halloween combined. What more could you want? Jack Skellington, the King of Halloween, starts to crave more than just pumpkins and ghouls. He grew bored of doing the same thing every year, so he made the decision to steal Christmas. Full of song, amazing animation, and a great plot, this movie will be sure to leave you singing and smiling beyond Halloween night, and into the holiday season.