This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

As someone who is not a Los Angeles native, I was so excited to explore the city during my freshman year to find places to visit. It was important for me to find places where I felt comfortable, that could be an outlet whenever school became overwhelming. Now as a junior at LMU, I have found my top 5 favorite places I go to whenever I need a break from school and a little refresher. I visit these places when I need to stop thinking about schoolwork and relax for a few hours.

1. Sunset at Dockweiler Beach

My hometown is Santa Barbara, and one of my favorite things to do back home was watch the sunset with my family and friends. Dockweiler reminds me of home and is a great place to destress, especially after studying all day during midterms. Grab a blanket, some friends and some snacks and enjoy what the beautiful beach has to offer! 

1. The Kettle

The Kettle is a restaurant located in Manhattan Beach. My parents loved going to this place in their post-college years, and now I am loving it as much as they did! Nothing beats a restaurant that offers comfort food that reminds you of a home cooked meal. I recommend their muffins as a midnight snack, they are so yummy! 

1. Bigg Chill

The Bigg Chill is a frozen yogurt place located about 20 minutes from LMU. I have to say, it is probably the best frozen yogurt I have ever had. My friends and I loved it so much that during our freshman year we would probably go one or two times a week! My favorite thing to order is the original tart with their edible cookie dough on the side. 

1. Playa Vista walks followed by Sweetgreen

Over quarantine, my family and I would go on multiple walks a day, which I started to miss. Because I live on campus, I wasn’t interested in walking around LMU for “fun.” One of my friends lives in Playa Vista and we started going on walks in their neighborhood. It is a great way to feel refreshed and restored. Then, of course, we love to drive Sweetgreen after and pick up a yummy salad for dinner! 

1. Malibu Country Mart

The last activity includes heading to Malibu and exploring the Malibu Country Mart. It is so fun to gather a group of girls and do this for the day. I love to pick up a smoothie from Sunlife Organics, stroll through the shops, and enjoy the beauty of Malibu!

I hope you visit these places and enjoy them as much as I do! It is so fun to grab a group of friends together and make new memories together!

I am a Junior at Loyola Marymount University studying business management with a Public Relations minor. I currently hold the VP role in my HC chapter! I love to go to the beach, writing about health and wellness, reading and being with my family and friends!