Top 10 Movies with Badass Female Lead Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Strong. Brave. Revolutionary. These are just a few descriptions of the women we get to see in theatres and on our screens. Even though it’s 2018, it seems that us females are struggling to find women in film that we can look up to and use as a model for strength. While the movement to increase strong, female representation in film is growing, there is still a lot more to be done. So, to get you started, here are a few of the strongest, badass female leads in movies to date. Enjoy!

Wonder Woman 

The title itself gives away how powerfully female driven this movie is. Gal Gadot is arguably the best Wonder Woman ever seen in one of the highest-grossing superhero origin movies in history. From showing up men in a boardroom to shutting down operations on the war front, Wonder Woman does it all and is the definition of a true badass.

Favorite quote: “I will fight for those who cannot fight for themselves”.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Now I know what you’re thinking: “Hermione is in every movie, why are you just picking Prisoner of Azkaban?” Yes, that’s true, Hermione is a strong lead in every Harry Potter movie, but in this particular installment, her strength, intelligence, and personality shine through more than ever. I mean, just look at that punch. Plus, Emma Watson is a queen and there is no need for any other explanation.

Favorite quote: “You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach!”

Mad Max: Fury Road 

Her strength is apparent in her name. Imperator Furiosa is the warrior to end all others. She has both a soft heart for the Wives and strong mind to battle anyone and anything that comes her way. Plus, she slays with that metal arm and blue paint on her forehead. Charlize Theron delivers a striking performance in this eye-opening thriller.

Favorite quote: “You wanna get through this? Do as I say.”

The Hunger Games

It’s Katniss Everdeen. Need I say more?

Favorite quote: “Thank you for your consideration.”

Mulan

It’s an oldie but a goodie. Mulan inspired so many young girls to step out of their comfort zone and break the barrier of what is expected of a female. She is the warrior we never knew we needed, but loved as soon as we saw her.

Favorite quote: “Maybe what I really wanted was to prove that I could do things right.”

Brave

With her fiery red hair and thick Scottish accent, Merida became an unconventional badass very quickly. Her desire to be free and be herself is strong and genuine. Plus, her archery skills are #slaying.

Favorite quote: “If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?”

Legally Blonde

“Elle Woods? A Badass? Yeah, right.” Think again. Elle Woods just goes to show that you don’t need to be a superhero or a warrior to be powerful. With her charm and her words, she stole the hearts of so many teenagers and wiped the smirks off those men’s faces in that courtroom. It’s also helpful that her outfits were #onfleek.

Favorite quote: -On getting into Harvard Law School- “What, like it’s hard?”

Ocean’s 8

I mean, when you have a cast lineup that consists of Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Rihanna, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Awkwafina, Sarah Paulson, and Helena Bonham Carter, you can’t go wrong. This movie is the definition of a #squad and I am so here for it. Each woman gets their moment and as a crew pulling off a heist, they kill the game.

Favorite quote: “We will not be the prime suspects.”

The Devil Wears Prada

Miranda Priestly may be the boss from hell, but you can’t deny that she is super successful and knows how work a room. Her RBF is almost as impeccable as her sense of style, not to mention the sheer authority in her voice is enough to make me quiver in my seat. Meryl Streep, you’ve done it again.

Favorite quote: “Truth is, no one can do what I do.”

Hidden Figures

Let’s take it back to the 1960s when segregation was still a norm and humans had never orbited the earth. Meet Katherine, Dorothy, and Mary: the three powerhouses of NASA that no one ever appreciated, until now. These women of color were not only pioneers of their time, but are role models for us today. Truth is, no one can tell you what you can and can’t do. Show them what you’re capable of, and you will reap the rewards.

Favorite quote: “Every time we have a chance to get ahead, they move the finish line.”

MOVIES TO LOOK OUT FOR:

The Hate U Give – October 19, 2018

Widows – November 16, 2018

Captain Marvel – 2019

Wonder Woman 1984 – 2019

What Men Want – 2019

Charlie’s Angels – 2019

Frozen 2 – 2019

Mulan (Live Action) – 2020

Black Widow – 2021

Juhi Rayonia is a student at Loyola Marymount University, where she is majoring in Film and Television Production. In her free time, she enjoys dancing, watching movies and tv shows, hiking, meeting new people, and learning new skills. She loves to bond over Harry Potter and Marvel movies, eat her weight in carbs, and go on adventures!