This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Since the fall season has officially begun…most movie & TV show fans are feeling ecstatic for these next three months! All summer long I waited patiently to hear when the next season of American Horror Story (AHS) was going to air. This is one of my all-time favorite shows, mainly because of the creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. 

There have been nine seasons of American Horror Story and each season has a different theme or plotline. What makes this show so fascinating is that most actors from the cast leave and return to the series but as a different character each season. It truly shows how gifted each actor is because you can see how well they are able to adapt and play different roles. Some of the actors return to the series more often than others, but that’s what is so exciting about the show! It’s really fun when a new season theme is announced and who is going to be in the cast. Overall, American Horror Story is one of the best shows to watch because of the suspense and excitement viewers get to experience in every episode! 

Read on to see how I ranked a few of the seasons – from my favorite to least favorite!

Season 3, Coven:

This is my absolute favorite season because I am obsessed with the concept of having a powerful group of women, who double as witches, run the city of New Orleans. In season 3, there is a witch academy that the girls have been sent to privately because of their new-found talents. Each girl has her own special ability or power, which is what makes watching this season so fun. Viewers get to see all the crazy and twisted ways these witches use their skills to protect the Coven that all-female witches are apart of. This season exists as a modern retelling of the Salem Witch Trials, as these witches are being protected by the school from the witch hunters chasing them down. Another fun fact about this season: they play a lot of Stevie Nicks and she even makes a cameo appearance in an episode!

Season 1, Murder House:

Now, Murder House will always hold a special place in my heart as it was the very first season of American Horror Story. This season is straight-up spooky because of the ways viewers can discover what the house in it really does: trap people inside forever. Every episode, viewers learn about a new person who lived in the house and never escaped. It also contains a very cute, yet very psychotic, love story between Tate Langdon and Violet Harmon. 

Season 4,  Freak Show:

Freak Show was a season that left most AHS fans rather disappointed, but I personally loved it. I enjoyed it because all the characters were based on real people in real freak shows of the 1950’s. During this specific time period, people who had a drastic physical differences were not at all accepted and were therefore hunted down and killed. This season sheds light on those who were mistreated just for being different. Elsa Mars, the owner of the Freak Show, took those deemed to be “freaks” and showed them love and offered them protection. Freak Show is a very bittersweet season, but that’s what makes it one of my favorites. 

Season 7, Cult:

Cult is a very unique season because it came out right after the 2016 Presidential Election, and that’s exactly what it’s about! Of course, in classic AHS style, a disturbing twist is added to real-life events. I love this season because it showcases the drastic measures that both Republicans and Democrats are willing to take in order to prove whose best. Unlike most fictional TV shows who make up fake presidents, AHS actually uses Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. An added element of craziness: there is a clown group going around murdering people in the town just based on who they voted for in the election. Each episode, viewers see someone added to the killer clown posse and it’s often the characters you’d least expect. It’s definitely a statement season, as it comments on the ridiculous ways humans act when it comes to politics. However, it doesn’t pinpoint one political party as being more intense than the other, which is definitely something I admire about the way the season was written. 

Season 8, Apocalypse

The moment I found out about this theme, I was beyond excited. Unlike normal AHS seasons, this season was a crossover between the third season, Coven, and the first season, Murder House. But I have to say, I was a bit disappointed by this season. The plot was brilliant, but I felt it was not executed well at all. This season was about the future and what happens after a nuclear war. Most of the population is wiped out, besides select few who were saved for a reason, however, no one knows the reason why. There are too many survivors after the Apocalypse and a shortage of shelter, which means not everyone makes the cut to stay. You don’t necessarily need to watch the first and third season to understand the concepts in this one, but it makes it ten times easier if you do. Cody Fern made his debut in AHS on Apocalypse and blew everyone away with his performance. Many fan-favorites from the first and third season make appearances in this season, and that’s what us AHS fans live for!

Season 9, 1984

If you love slasher horror films, this is the season for you. AHS 1984 is the current season airing right now, so I can only speak on what I’ve seen, but so far… it’s pretty great. It’s only further down my list because it isn’t over yet. 1984 is such a fun, yet also very trippy, season. There are many twists and turns that leave viewers wondering who’s good and who’s bad. My mom was telling me how she loves this season because she remembers being a little girl in the 80’s and feeling scared about the serial killer they actually talk about in AHS 1984. This season is about a group of young adults going to work at a summer camp that was shut down for years because of a horrific massacre that occurred there. Upon their arrival, weird stuff starts happening and they struggle to find ways to escape. Although this season is a scary slasher theme, there are many corny and funny points throughout the episodes. And all of the actors in this season are amazing – Emma Roberts, Billie Lourd, Cody Fern, Angelica Ross, and even Mr. Schuester from Glee (aka Matt Morrison) are in it! So far, I’m loving AHS 1984 and maybe I’ll write a new review at the end of the season. 

Avery is a Communication Studies major at Loyola Marymount University. She is from San Jose, California and now currently lives in Los Angeles. Avery is obsessed with all things Disney, Movies/TV shows, music. She is also an avid music festivals goer and enjoy concerts and musical performances. Avery is very excited to be apart of HerCampus LMU and can't wait to see what the future holds for her! ♡