This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Books are my preferred method of time travel. In just a few pages, I jump from an afternoon party at the Plaza, to a Waffle Town in the middle of a blizzard, to a barrack in Germany, to an island full of peculiar children, to a San Francisco psychologist’s office. Books take me to places where planes and trains cannot. They unveil the immense beauties of the world and teach me how to be observant. I am giddy at the fact that there is a seemingly unending reserve of stories that were, are, and will be told. Each story leaves me with a sentiment: a revival of love for reading, a few wise words, a smile, and even sometimes a flustered feeling wondering why the author blew the ending.

In no particular order, here are my top 10 books and my take away from each:

‘The Great Gatsby’ by F. Scott Fitzgerald

“‘Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,’ he told me, ‘just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.’” – F. Scott Fitzgerald

‘Beautiful and the Damned’ by F. Scott Fitzgerald

“Everywhere we go and move on and change, something’s lost–something’s left behind. You can’t ever quite repeat anything…” – F. Scott Fitzgerald

‘The Tattooist of Auschwitz’ by Heather Morris

“Hold that thought. Use it to get out of bed tomorrow morning, and the next morning, and the next.” – Heather Morris

‘Paper Towns’ by John Green

“It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined.” – John Green 

‘The Defining Decade: Why your Twenties matter – and how to make the most of them now’ by Meg Jay, PhD

“Part of realizing our potential is recognizing how our particular gifts and limitations fit with the world around us.” – Dr. Meg Jay

‘The Alphabet House’ by Jussi Adler-Olsen

“Fear is a good friend to the truth, and a lie to the proud.” – Jussi Adler-Olsen

‘Miss Peregine’s Home for Peculiar Children’ by Ransom Riggs

“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.” – Ransom Riggs

‘Sold on a Monday’ by Kristina McMorris

“A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed.” – Kristina McMorris

‘Let it Snow’ by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson

“Something about me has always liked the drama and inconvenience of bad weather. The worse the better, really.” – John Green

“Christmas is never over, unless you want it to be… Christmas is a state of mind.” – Lauren Myracle

“There is nothing about a bad situation that fourteen hyper cheerleaders can’t worsen.” – Maureen Johnson

‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zusak

“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” – Markus Zusak

My name is Emily Walker, and I am a psychology and finance double major from Southern California. I will graduate in 2022. I believe in working hard and being kind. I love spending most of my time laying on the beach, running in the sun, and wasting time on Canva. Whenever my schedule allows, I turn into a chef by day and a book worm by night.
Her Campus LMU