Taylor Swift Album Review: Reputation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Ladies, it’s here. Taylor Swift’s 6th album, “Reputation” was released on Friday, and I don’t think any of us were truly ‘Ready For It’. According to Variety, In the first 24 hours of its release, the album sold more copies than any other album has in a WEEK so far this year, reminding us all that Taylor Swift and her empire in the pop genre is not going anywhere anytime soon. With tracks like “Call It What You Want” and “Gorgeous” having been out for a while now, fans knew that this album would be very different from the old Taylor, and any remaining rumors/hopes of Taylor returning to her Nashville roots for her next album have been politely stomped out.

While some of might miss the old grinning, guitar wielding, girl next door we used to know, we all have to admit that the new Taylor is pretty badass. As she strays further from her good girl roots, Taylor has adopted a new persona, making for some pretty awesome power anthems like “Look What You Made Me Do.” As her persona changes, Taylor’s lyrics are transforming as well, getting a little more PG-13 than her previous albums. With lyrics on the new track “Dress” stating: “Only bought this dress so you could take it off, take it off/ Carve your name into my bedpost/ Cause I don’t want you like a best friend” Taylor has come a long way from her sweet teen romance songs of 2006.

Photo Courtesy of Huffington Post

Perhaps the most exciting track on this new album is “End Game” featuring Future and Ed Sheeran. Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran have worked together before, but never did I think I would see those three names on the same song together. However with three huge artists working on this track, it holds a huge amount of star power, and is already climbing its way up the charts. So what do you think? Is the old Taylor really dead? And more importantly, when will reputation be released on Spotify?!

Hi! I'm Eva and I'm a Marketing Major at Loyola Marymount University. My hobbies and interests include fitness, music, baking, camping, surfing, and being outside.