Take a Breathe Outside of LA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

By: Meghan Rieger

This weekend I had the opportunity to step outside LA and breathe in the fresh open air of Yosemite National Park. Since I moved to LA for school, I knew I had to make the trip up to this natural masterpiece. With unreal views, great company, and amazing weather, it was the perfect place to escape from the stress of both school and LA.

Friday afternoon, we packed our tents, hiking boots, cameras, and hit the road. Six hours later, we arrived at the park and instantly rolled down the windows, blasted a great playlist, and took it all in. As we passed El Capitan, a three thousand foot high granite monolith, we were humbled and excited to see the amazing wildlife and mountains that have been radiating beauty for centuries.

We arrived at camp to find the rest of our group roasting marshmallows and enjoying each others company under a sky full of stars. After a short reunion, we layered on the blankets and headed to bed ready for a day of hiking.

I was woken up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee and conversations around me regarding the excitement for the day ahead. We laced up our boots, packed the granola bars, and began our trek to the point. Five miles up the mountain took a lot out of us but the view around every corner was more than enough motivation. After about three hours of sore legs and lots of good conversations, we reached the top. I was amazed with what I saw. After catching my breathe, I stood at the point and took everything in. With the half dome to the left and Yosemite falls to the right, it was hard to comprehend that something this idyllically beautiful was just a few hours from where I lived.  

We sat at the top of the mountain and ate our lunch as we happily watched people experience an overwhelming amount of relief and joy as they reached the top. After we took our pictures and reflected on our hike, we started to make our journey back down. With every step we took, the sun set and the sky became more and more like a painting. This journey and this day radiated so much bliss and made me appreciate this Earth even more than I already did.

Just the simple act of being outside and breathing fresh air is often forgotten in a city as busy as LA. California is made up of beautiful valleys and never ending beaches that are so accessible to those who want to see it. You just have to make the time.

Go outside.

See what this beautiful state has to offer.

Take a second to realize how lucky we are to call this place home.

Her Campus LMU