Surviving Football Season at a School with no Football Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

In late May, I was asked by my friends back home in East Texas if I was sad to not be going to a university affiliated with the SEC (Southeastern conference; schools such as Louisiana State, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, etc.). I told them, “Of course not!”, as I was raised a Texas Longhorn (NOT in SEC) and was eager anyway to attend college on the East or West coast. They accepted this out of me. However, after telling them that Loyola Marymount University had no football team, that’s when the horror came…

We all know that time of the year where we dedicate our Friday nights to our high schools, our Saturday nights to our universities, and our Sunday afternoons to the NFL. We wouldn’t be Americans without football season (especially in the South). So how does a homebody from Texas survive at a university in California with no football? Here’s how I’m doing it:

1. Deck yourself out on game day.

YES sir I did bring University of Texas gear to LMU and NO I am not ashamed. As you may know, the Horns stopped by in LA a few weeks back to play USC, the first game with the Trojans since the 2005 National Championship game (in which yes, Texas took home the title). You can always support your boys, even if you are miles away like me.

2. Plan your diet accordingly.

If there is one thing we love about football season, it’s the grub. Tex-Mex. Barbeque. Friday night post-game trips to Whataburger, (sheds tear)… Its not hard to eat unhealthy in college either folks.

Here’s me at my late-night Iggy’s run.

And this is ALWAYS an option.

3. Keep the big game on the nearest TV.

One great thing about LMU is that we have lots and lots of TVs. You can typically find a group in your hall’s lounge watching Chargers games on the weekends, or you can rent out a study room and watch it privately!

4. Go to nearby school’s tailgates and games.

We may be in Lion territory, but it is no secret that we are flooded with Trojan Football fans. You can always head over to your local schools for home games as well! Or you can go back to your home state and be a/an [insert here] for the weekend.

5. Profess your love to all.

There is one thing important to me, and that’s never forgetting where I come from. BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE AND LET THE WORLD KNOW.

School: Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles, California) Hometown: Tyler, Texas Major: International Relations Hobbies: Musical Theatre, Singing, Fitness, Yoga, Modeling, Traveling TV Shows: American Horror Story, Feud, American Crime Story, Handmaid's Tale, Orange is the New Black, Dexter, Riverdale Music: Lady Gaga, Led Zeppelin, Guns n' Roses, Lana del Rey, Anderson Paak, The Eagles, Joan Jett (truly any classic rock) Movies: Slumdog Millionaire, Atomic Blonde, Gone Girl, Chicago Books: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Food: Indian, Chinese, Tex-Mex, Chicago Dogs, Acai Bowls, Pearl Tea Favorite Colors: Lavender, Gold Favorite Places: New York City, Los Angeles, London, Dubai, Paris