Studying Hard or Hardly Studying: Summer Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

First step in recovering from a summer abroad (especially in Barcelona) is to give yourself enough time before school starts to savor the last moments of freedom and ease the post-abroad depression that most slip into.

Next step is to gather all the wisdom and educational learning you took from skipping class, hitting the beaches of Spain, and staying out till 7:00 AM at the Barcelona clubs and apply it to the next academic semester ahead of you.

In all sincerity, it is a bittersweet homecoming when you know you have AIMS 2710 to look forward to every Tuesday and dusting off your running shoes to faithfully attempt the summer bod you unfortunately procrastinated on for three months. However, I found myself embarking on school this semester after going abroad full of optimism and a sense of inner peace, pushing away the built up anxiety and emotions it usually holds. Building strong relationships with LMU students, broadening my cultural horizons, and losing the most sleep I’ve ever had in one month, left me in a state of comfort and fulfillment that my summer’s endeavors were enough to carry me through another semester of a disciplined school and work schedule.

The best advice I could leave you with is to be the person you were abroad (because during school my half-asleep, too lazy to put on real clothes so I wear workout clothes every day self isn’t necessarily putting my best foot forward). I chose to take risk and step outside my comfort zone, and those moments of courage never left me with regrets. Although I no longer have the glorious Barcelona sunrise worth staying up all night to see, I have a glorious campus to walk on each day that never limits my chance to experience and be a part of a life changing opportunity.

Cheers to syllabuses and hoping Rate My Professor steered you in the right direction! 

LMU Senior. Marketing Major/Studio Arts Minor. DG gal. Ms. Worldwide
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.