Stages of an All Nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Alright kiddies, it’s time to buckle up.  We’re about to encounter the one, the only, the regrettable, ~ THE ALL-NIGHTER ~ !!

If you haven’t experienced one of these bad boys in high school, get ready for the time of your life; pulling an all-nighter is not for the weak, and it’s kind of like running a marathon.  You prepare for it, and if you do it too much it affects your body in a way you don’t want it to.

Regardless, everyone ends up here at one point or another.  You have a midterm, a paper, or something else that you waited just too long to start.  But you know what, there ain’t nothin’ wrong with that!  Haters will say you can’t possibly accomplish everything in one night, all you have to say is: CHALLENGE FREAKIN ACCEPTED.

Join me in my all-nighter experience, as we explore the depths of caffeine dependency, stuDYING, and responsible decisions!

Time is between 7 and 7:30 pm; “preparation”

At this point you should’ve had your dinner and should be on your way to the library.  Don’t confuse yourself with eating foods that will supposedly boost your energy or are high in açai content or will hydrate your muscles or whatever.  Think of this as your last enjoyment for the next twelve hours.  So savor that burrito!

Make sure you’re dressed in something comfy and temperature-flexible.  Maybe leggings, a thin long sleeve, a sweater, and socks.  Socks are so important!!!!  Make sure you bring them because your shoes will probably end up coming off.

Swing by Starbucks and buy yourself something nice and strong.  A grande iced coffee with two shots of espresso is always my move.  Yay!  While you’re there, stock up.  Grab the biggest bottle of water they have, and get two of those double shot espressos that come in cans.  (This will be your savior tomorrow morning, and it’s your best friend if you need another boost at the 3 am mark.)  If you want something sweet, treat yoself, that donut is calling you by first, middle, and last name.

Time is 8 pm; find your temporary home

Alrighty, time to set up camp.  Plug in your laptop, open your backpack and pull out your books, make sure your writing utensils are easily accessible, and [arguably] most importantly, get some jamz that will make you productive.  Spotify has amazing focus-themed playlists ranging from electronic music to classical.  If you like the sound of rain, there’s also a rainstorm playlist.  It’s usually easier to concentrate when you’re listening to songs without vocals, so keep that in mind.

Download the app SelfControl (www.selfcontrolapp.com) onto your computer and fill its blacklist with your favorite websites: Facebook, Netflix, Tumblr, Buzzfeed, etc.  Set the timer for ten hours.  The app doesn’t allow access to any of those websites until the timer finishes, not even if you restart your computer.  If you can and you feel comfortable doing so, put your phone on airplane mode.  No distractions, we’re not playing games anymore!

Time is 8:15, COMMENCE!

As you sip on your coffee, start working.  Re-read readings in your textbook, look through your notebook, do research, type away on your laptop… YOU CAN DO IT!  Get yourself in the zone of working, keep yourself busy.  This usually looks like a mess at the desk you’re working at; books spread all over, pencils/pens/highlighters everywhere, but who cares!  You’re in the process of some kickass productivity!!  Haters are my motivators!

Time is 9:40, have you peed yet?

Here is where you can afford to take a quick break.  Reward yourself for doing such an incredible job by meandering over to the bathroom and playing a quick game of Fruit Ninja on the toilet.  Check your Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, because this is the time to do it.  Don’t forget to stretch!  That pretty booty of yours has been sitting in a chair and odds are you were probably hunched over too.  Take your time walking back to your desk, enjoy what it feels like to not be glued to a chair.

Time is 12 am, party’s just getting started

If you’re feeling like your motivation is faltering, it’s okay.  That’s why you can take a little break.  These breaks are crucial because they’re opportunity to “recharge.”  Stroll around the floor of the library you’re working on; take up to ten minutes to relax and do nothing.  Once you get back to your desk, you’re grinding.

Time is 12:50, get a snack!

The Starbucks at our library is open until 1 am!  How exciting!!!!!!  Even more exciting is that usually by the end of the night they start handing out free bakery items; the other night, I got two snickerdoodle cookies and two vanilla scones!  Guess who was a happy girl… ya ya ya, it was me.  

Also get some more caffeine if you need it, maybe an iced black tea or whatever will get some pep in your step.  Or twerk in your work.

Time is 1:05 am, KEEP GOING!!!

It’s officially “late.” It definitely feels like it’s more quiet than usual, and the sense of loneliness is real.  Head back to where you’re working and slowly get the gears going again.  Even if your momentum isn’t what it was at the beginning of the night, it’s okay; put your headphones in and keep trying, keep pushing!!!  YOU GOT THIS.  Keep your eyes on the prize and don’t allow yourself to get distracted.  You still have a lot of hours left to finish whatever you need to finish, so keep yourself motivated by thinking about how great it’ll feel once you’re done.

Time is 3 am, graveyard shift

Odds are you’re actually alone now, and you basically own this place.  Think of yourself as the queen, and no one is worthy enough to be in your presence; that’s why no one else is around you.  Who run the world?  It’s you.  This is probably the point in the night more than any other where you especially feel like you don’t want to be in here anymore.

It’s disgustingly late, and being alone sucks.  Take another break, walk around, go pee, dance around a little bit, stretch, do yo thang!  You need a kick, so drink up the double shot espresso can, and KEEP GRINDING.  YOU ONLY HAVE A FEW HOURS LEFT!

Time is 6ish, final stretch!

The sun will be up soon, and your work is almost done, my friend.  I like playing an upbeat playlist, with music similar to what I’d listen to during a workout.  You’re so close to being done, and the idea of finally finishing everything should serve as motivation to not lose that last bit of focus.  Type your conclusion, highlight the last of your notes, and whatever else was on your agenda for the night!  Once you finish, feel free to dramatically slam your books and laptop shut, because they deserve it for making you so miserable tonight.  Stand up, stretch, and FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF!

You did it homie!!!  Now walk back to your dorm, and depending on how much time you have before class, make the decision on whether or not to go to sleep.  You might find that not sleeping at all is better than sleeping for a little less than an hour.  Whatever you choose, just know that your all-nighter will have paid off, and you can sleep tomorrow night knowing that you kicked some academic ass!

By: Sara Sobolev

Her Campus LMU
A Cleveland, Ohio native, Kaitlin is a senior English Major at Loyola Marymount University.