Simple Tips for Living with a Roommate for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

School has started, you’ve moved in with your roommate(s), and now its real! Whether you have been long time friends, found each other on Facebook, or were assigned one randomly, living together is a process and may take time to perfect. Now that classes have begun, one might ask: how can I have a healthy relationship with my roommate? If this is your first time sharing a room with someone it may be challenging, but here are some tips for a smooth and happy transition:

Communication

From the start, creating a good system of communication with your roommate will go a long way if you want to have a healthy relationship. Being comfortable with each other, opening up, and being able to voice your concerns and expectations is necessary to maintain a happy living space. Don’t be afraid to talk to each other! Remember, setting clear and defined boundaries is totally okay to do! You are two different people with different habits and routines, so having boundaries is absolutely acceptable.

Respect

Even though you are sharing a room, it is important to be respectful of your roommate’s side and their belongings. If you had a messy room at home, then try to keep your side cleaner at school since you are sharing the space. Treat your roommate like you would want to be treated! Share your schedule with your roommate and be mindful of your roommate’s sleep schedule.

Pro tip: if you need to wake up earlier than your roommate, try not to wake them up or snooze your alarm.

Responsibility

Responsibility plays a big role when sharing a space with someone for the first time. Be responsible by cleaning things that may get messy or that you make a mess of. If food or a drink spills, don’t leave it for the ants to find. You don’t want a colony of ants raiding your room! If the trash can in your room is full, take it out. Lastly, if you are sick, keep it to your side! Use hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.

Accepting Your Roommate for Who They Are

There will probably always be something that you don’t particularly like about your roommate’s habits, but it is important to address the problem so it doesn’t get worse. Address the elephant in the room if there is one.

The most important thing I can share with you is this: have fun with your roommate! This is your first college roommate experience! Whether it is good or bad (hopefully it will be good), it will be one that you remember forever.

I am a Freshman at Loyola Marymount University. I am majoring in Marketing with a minor in Graphic Design.