This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Since Emily in Paris landed on Netflix at the beginning of this month, my Instagram feed has been flooded by memes, fashion inspiration, and reviews on the new hit show. The ten-episode series follows Chicago marketing executive, Emily Cooper, as she is transferred to a Parisian firm to provide an American perspective on branding luxury goods. She arrives in the City of Lights speaking no French (and arguably, with little interest in adapting to French culture) to the chagrin of her new colleagues and friends. She takes the city by storm and successfully balances her budding career with her busy social life. 

What I Noticed…

Emily’s online documentation of her Parisian adventures also immediately attracts a large online following, launching her into the world of Instagram influencing. Produced by the same people who brought us Sex and the City, the show takes a familiar approach to the romanticization of city life à la Carrie Bradshaw: “hot” night clubs, an endless parade of attractive men, and designer wardrobes to drool over. For fans of classic films, it could very well be a modernized version of Vincente Minnelli’s An American in Paris, chronicling the musical adventures of an expatriate chasing his dreams while falling in love.

Room for Growth! 

There’s a lot to like about the light-hearted show, but to some, its problems outweigh its worldwide success (especially when it comes to French audiences). Viewers are undoubtedly introduced to French culture through the experiences of an American who knows very little about it. In the first two episodes alone, Emily comes under the constant critique of her colleagues who question her ignorance when it comes to learning the French language. Although she does self-correct this particular faux-pas, much of the show features her thriving in Paris without having to undergo any dramatic changes to her lifestyle. Her “American-ness” in the presence of her French counterparts can somehow come across as both off-putting and endearing. She also constantly proves her doubters wrong through the acknowledgment of her self-worth. This, while it can be inspirational and encouraging to some audiences, can also come across as somewhat unrealistic. It’s also notable that the Parisians we are introduced to in the show often fall into the stereotypes Americans associate with French culture, further perpetuating those stereotypes. While the stark differences between Emily and her new colleagues and friends often take center stage, there is also a lot of focus on their shared experiences.

Without revealing too much more about the show, there is most definitely room for growth in both our protagonist and the overall plot. It’s a charming show full of gorgeous cityscapes, gorgeous fashion, and relatable moments (especially to anyone that has lived or studied abroad). After having lived in Paris myself for a couple of months in 2017, I spent most of the show reminiscing over my experience and recognizing the filming locations I passed by every day. Maybe the show is just what we need to get us through the last of 2020; an ode to less complicated days where dreams of travel and new experiences didn’t feel so far away. While I wouldn’t recommend watching Emily in Paris for an accurate account of life in Paris, I would say that it definitely provides viewers with a great escape from otherwise hectic lives. So, grab your favorite macarons and settle down for this sweet show that will make you say, “Bonjour Paris!”

Hello, my name is Maya Thomas and I'm an English major & Journalism minor from Bellevue, Washington. I love writing about fashion trends, travel, and classic literature!
Her Campus LMU