All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You
All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You
Netflix
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Should You Shoot Your Shot During Quarantine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It’s okay to admit it: being sent home from college during quarantine probably separated you from your could’ve-been boo. Spring semester was just revving up and so were your plans to make him or her fall in love with you. COVID-19 really said no to that – but hey! We still have options. The pressing issue, having no legal physical contact with any possible romantic interest during a time of social distancing, is whether or not you should even attempt to shoot your shot, right? 

people riding on bikes during sunset
Via Everton Vila on Unsplash

If you’re anything like me, you first turned to Tinder and Bumble for entertainment with the understanding that you would not be able to meet up with these people – despite the rebel efforts of some to “quarantine together” with random strangers. While this worked at first, Tinder boys proved unsatisfactory or wanted things that I didn’t; it was just literally never going to go anywhere, and I didn’t actually want to meet up with these people. So what was I doing? I deleted the apps. 

Now, if you’re feeling bold, you could hit up someone from one of your classes – having a synchronous Zoom class with them would definitely be easier in this regard if you aren’t already really good friends. FaceTiming for homework might even be a solid way to bond over your shared experiences. Ultimately, it’s up to you. Unless you talk on a regular basis, I would not suggest confessing your feelings right away, but instead trying to build a friendship or flirting first to gauge where they stand. If they’re sending you mixed signals, you could: a) be patient and wait it out, or b) confront them and ask what’s going on, with the knowledge that this is the riskier move.

Truthfully, you really have nothing to lose by trying. Especially when you likely won’t see each other in person for months, there’s nothing holding you back besides yourself. On the other hand, there’s not too much to gain either unless you’re both willing to commit the time and effort to getting to know each other through a screen. The choice is yours.

I might just shoot my shot during quarantine… will you?

Sophomore Film/TV Production major and Screenwriting minor at LMU from Michigan. When not in class, watching a movie, or writing an article, can be found drinking iced coffee, playing classical guitar, trying new restaurants, or belting lyrics at a concert.