Should You Get A Keratin Smoothing Treatment ?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

It has been around four weeks since I got a keratin smoothing treatment for my hair. After debating for months, I finally caved into the idea of completely frizz-free hair. Going into my three hour salon appointment, I was surging with excitement. Growing up, I had always hated my curly, frizzy hair and had always been jealous of my friends with straight and soft hair. I was completely convinced that this treatment would give me the beautiful hair I had always wanted. However, a month after my keratin treatment and with some research, I definitely see both the pros and cons of the the keratin smoothing treatment.

Pros

Getting ready in half the time

Before I got a keratin smoothing treatment, I would take around an hour to blow dry or straighten my hair. Now, I am able to do both in around 45 minutes. Plus, my styled hair stays soft and looking good for 3 days at a time!

Unbelievably soft hair

My unstyled, natural hair used to feel dry and course. Now, I constantly find myself running my hands through my newly soft and lush hair.

Less products

The keratin treatment erases the need for extra oils and hair sprays that can really weigh down your hair. These days, I find myself only using a heat protectant at most.

Cons

Many keratin smoothing treatments use formaldehyde

Formaldehyde, a possible carcinogen and thought to make your hair smoother and straighter for months at a time, used to be a main ingredient in many keratin treatments. Although many current keratin treatments label themselves as “formaldehyde-free”, certain replacement chemicals, such as methylene glycol, are just as damaging and harmful.

This treatment is expensive

Some keratin treatments cost as much as $300. In addition, you have to spend quite a bit of money on sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners, after the treatment, in order to maintain your new look.

It’s not gonna last forever

If maintained properly, the keratin treatment is said to last only around 4-6 months. If you don’t get another treatment after a couple of months, your hair will return to its natural state.