San Diego: The Perfect Weekend Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

A couple weeks ago, my best friends and I drove to San Diego for the long weekend. We stayed across the water from Coronado, ate yummy food and went shopping in a huge outdoor mall! We had such a great time and we can’t wait to go back! I’m going to share some of our favorite parts of the trip and give you all some ideas of what to do in San Diego. I hope you all consider heading to this amazing city next time you want to escape campus for the weekend!

Visit the San Diego Zoo!

You could easily spend an entire day at this place! This zoo is huge and has so much to see! You will definitely get in your daily steps if you visit this place, and see adorable animals at the same time! The Skyfari Aerial Tram gives you an amazing view of the surrounding area so take advantage of it once your feet start getting tired! While tickets can be a bit pricey, the experience is well worth the money!

Visit Salt & Straw!

There are only four Salt & Straw shops in the country and one of them is in San Diego! While there is one near campus, located on Abbot Kinney, different shops have different ice cream flavors! Check out their flavors specific to the San Diego store and you might find your new favorite ice cream flavor!

Visit Fashion Valley Mall!

This big, outdoor mall has great shopping! My friends and I did not allow enough time to go into all the stores we wanted to. There are so many stores! If you go there, get ready to walk and get ready to spend money that you probably shouldn’t! This mall also has good restaurants around it for when you need to grab a bite to eat, including my personal favorite, True Food Kitchen.

Visit Old Town San Diego!

We loved Old Town for its abundance of Mexican food and cute shops! We ate dinner at Cafe Guadalajara, which is a popular restaurant in that area and it was delicious! The atmosphere is great and they have live music playing. After you find some authentic Mexican food, glance at all of the stores in Old Town. They are cute, colorful and sell almost everything!

Visit Coronado Island!

This was our favorite place during our visit to San Diego. Just go across the water, over the bridge and you are out of the city on a beautiful island! We spent a whole day here eating food, walking around downtown and laying on the beach. We found a great cafe for brunch, called Tartine, which also had an amazing dessert case! The downtown area had lots of cute stores to walk around in and the beach in front of the Hotel del Coronado is absolutely beautiful! Next time my friends and I go to San Diego, Coronado is where we want to stay. Definitely make time to visit the island if you go to San Diego!