This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Let’s face it- Halloween looks different this year. Coincidentally, it’s also on a Saturday. Although there may not be parties this year, there are still fun ways to celebrate.

Here are some great ideas to safely celebrate Halloween!

Pumpkin Patches:

Outdoor activities are still mostly open, and there’s a way to still enjoy the pumpkin patch safely. They are more spread out so that it is still possible to social distance and stay safe. In Los Angeles, despite it being October it is still warm, so definitely take the opportunity to get some fresh air, enjoy the Halloween spirit, and maybe even get a cute photo op. Don’t forget to grab your mask! 

Here are a few options in Los Angeles:

1. Underwood Family Farms: 3370 Sunset Valley Road Moorpark, CA 93021

2. Shawn’s Pumpkin Patch: 3443 S Sepulveda Blvd Los Angeles 90034

3. Descanso Gardens: 1418 Descanso Dr. La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011

Apple Picking: 

Although it is not a traditional Halloween activity, there is nothing traditional about this Halloween at all! Similarly to the pumpkin patch, it is an outdoor activity that allows you to easily social distance! Most options are just outside of LA so you can definitely make a day trip out of it.

Here are a few options close to Los Angeles:

1. Los Rios Rancho: 39611 Oak Glen Road, Oak Glen, CA, 92399

2. Parrish Pioneer Ranch: 38561 Oak Glen Rd Oak Glen, CA 92399

Drive-In Movies: 

Drive-In movies are the new normal and Halloween is the perfect occasion to go out and see a scary movie! There are so many options but they pop up as quickly as they sell out, so make sure to book your tickets as soon as you see they’re available. They usually just charge per car so if it is possible to safely go with others, I would definitely recommend doing so. Bring some snacks and check out some great flicks. Don’t worry about your battery dying, they usually have people walking around with jump start cables.  

Here are a few options in Los Angeles:

1. San Fernando Valley Halloween Drive-In: 14006 Riverside Drive Los Angeles, CA 91423

2. Cinemauto: 713 N Hill Street, LA 90012

3. Hollywood Legion Theater: 2035 North Highland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90068

4. The Roadium Theater:  2500 West Redondo Beach Boulevard Torrance, CA 90504

5. Huluween: 480 W Riverside Dr Los Angeles, CA

Drive-thru Experiences: 

There are plenty of Drive-thru experiences happening all across Los Angeles. It is a safe way to still enjoy a Halloween event from the comfort of your car. Each option varies in what the experience offers, the duration, as well as the price. Though they are slightly pricey (usually about $70 per car), if you can find a safe way to go with people in your household, it is definitely worth it. These also sell out pretty quickly so definitely get tickets fast! 

Here are a few options in Los Angeles:

1. Stranger Things Drive-Into Experience: DTLA

2. Nights of Jack: 6800 Mulholland Hwy., Calabasas, CA 91302

3. Hauntoween: 6100 Topanga Canyon Blvd Woodland Hills, CA 91367

4. Freeform’s 31 nights of Halloween

Have a night in:

There’s nothing simpler than a night in, whether it be alone or with some friends in a COVID-friendly environment. The list of things to do is endless but here are a few options: pumpkin carving, setting up Halloween decorations, having a Halloween movie night, having a Zoom Halloween party, and baking. Halloween is the perfect time to find some cute ideas on Pinterest or Tiktok and attempt to recreate those sweet treats. There are plenty of Halloween themed options for baking, decorating, and enjoying at stores. Halloween is the perfect time to get creative and with the pandemic still in play, that’s the only thing you can be. So definitely do some research, find some ideas, and have fun with it!

Sasha is a Psychology major and Sociology minor at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.
Her Campus LMU