scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

Rege-Jean Page’s Exit from Bridgerton: A Sad Goodbye To The Beloved Duke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

2020 was a hectic year for the majority of the world’s population. Being stuck at home for months on end led to boredom, depression, and anxiety. Not many people knew what to do with themselves, which is why many started streaming shows on Netflix, Hulu, Prime Videos, and other platforms. Some of Netflix’s hit shows came out last year, such as Outer Banks, The Queen’s Gambit, and Emily in Paris. By December 2020, people still wanted more. That is when Netflix finally released the iconic Shonda Rhime’s production of “Bridgerton.” With shows like “Grey’s Anatomy” and “How to Get Away with Murder,” Shondaland has made a positive reputation for itself, which led so many to believe that her new show would be the next big hit, 

and, it was. Bridgerton took us into the Regency era in London while portraying the lives of several aristocratic families and the scandals they had to face. This includes some of the most interesting characters like Daphne Bridgerton, Lady Whistledown, Penelope Featherington, and last but not least, the Duke of Hastings. 

Simon Basset, the Duke Of Hastings

Fans all over the world adored the character of Simon Basset, which was played by Rege-Jean Page. The obsession over him still hasn’t died down, even though it has been four months since the show was released. With rumors about the second season surfacing all over the Internet, fans couldn’t help but wonder who the new cast members would be, and who would be making a comeback.

Just a few days ago, it was announced that Rege-Jean Page would not be coming back to Bridgerton after the rest of the cast members’ identities were released. It is said that after his one-year contract, he felt that it was his time to leave the show, even though he was given multiple offers, one of them being that he comes back as a guest star for three to five episodes. He would have made $50,000, had he accepted the offer. 

Since each season is based on one of the eight Bridgerton siblings, the spotlight will be on Anthony Bridgerton – rather than on Daphne and Simon – in the second season. The plan from the beginning was to only have Page on the first season, but since he became the most popular character on Bridgerton, it would have been beneficial to have him on the second season, therefore the creators and producers knew that they had to give it a shot.

Rege-Jean Page plans to work on his film career and will most likely be starring in a few projects very soon. What is without a doubt true is that he will be missed on the screen next to his screen wife, Daphne Bridgerton. 

I am originally from Tehran/Iran, but live between there, Los Angeles, and Paris, France. I grew up in Iran and went to two European Schools, which is why I now speak four languages. I am a sophomore at Loyola Marymount University. I am a Communication Studies Major and a Spanish Minor.
Her Campus LMU