Pros and Cons of Eyelash Extenstions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Eyelash extensions are becoming more and more of a trend. I mean, who doesn’t want long eyelashes without having to deal with mascara and eyelash curlers? I was initially skeptical about getting them, but I decided to give it a try. If you are in a similar situation, look no further!

Let me first start off by saying that for me, the pros heavily outweigh the cons. I get so much more sleep because I don’t have to deal with putting on mascara in the morning, which I would normally spend about 20 minutes on (I am very picky about my eyelashes). I don’t care who you are; more sleep is ALWAYS a good thing. Secondly, I feel so much better about going bare faced, which is so good for my skin. Since I look like I’m wearing mascara (without the issue of clumps!), I feel more confident to go without foundation and other products, which has done wonders for my skin. Another thing I love about eyelash extensions is that I can feel confident working out without makeup on, which is also so much better for my skin. Also, I don’t have to deal with dripping mascara after a workout!

Now some cons… They are a bit pricey, depending on what material and glue you choose for your lashes. But good news! The first time you get them is the most expensive. If you decide you like them and want to keep them up, getting them filled is considerably less expensive. Also, you can’t sleep on your stomach while you are wearing them; this will make them fall out faster. For the first two nights, I had to sleep on my back, which was a little uncomfortable, but once the glue sets you can sleep on your side! Additionally, they do require some extra care, but for me taking care of them is actually less time consuming than putting on mascara every morning!

To dispel a few rumors… They do not ruin your natural eyelashes. Just make sure to keep them clean because they catch more dust and particles than natural, shorter lashes. You can use a little bit of baby shampoo or just water. Also, make sure to brush them daily!

All in all, I definitely recommend getting eyelash extensions. For me, the best part is the extra sleep I get and the time I save because I don’t have to spend the time to put on mascara. If you are looking for a new way to treat yourself, give them a try!