This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Its time for some partyy! But wait, why I am always bloated? A lot of us have bloated stomachs when we eat bad, unhealthy foods and drank alcohol. In college, this period of time increases triple times because we are away from our homes, the home cooked foods and there is no parent that says us to eat our greens.

Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays mean college parties, going to In-N Out and IHOP after 2 am.  We all have gone there, but I got you! I have some special recipes that will get rid of the bloating you have and refresh your body. Drink these as a meal for breakfast. These recipes will detox the body and make you feel just right. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water! Before giving these recipes, I want you to relax, and be kind to yourself. Don’t be mad that you gained weight and lost control. You can put a stop to this by treating your body the right way.

Before giving you the best detox smoothie recipes, I want to give some details of the ingredients:

Parsley: It is packed with powerful antioxidant properties to help the detox process. Also, eating parsley can reduce the risk of cancer. YAY!

Spinach: It is a great iron source for vegans, but also contains a good amount of fiber that will make you feel full. Also being a dark green leaf, it contains many valuable nutrients, specifically antioxidants such as carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin.

Fruits: Antioxidants are mostly found in plant foods like vegetables and fruits. Blueberries, watermelon, peaches and pineapples have a high amount of antioxidant property to help clean your liver (detox). As well as having high amounts of manganese, which is important for antioxidant defenses, pineapples also contain high amounts of thiamin, a B vitamin that makes the production of energy. Thus, these will make your body an antioxidant bomb!

In recent studies, it has been shown that the best and most powerful antioxidant source is “gooseberry” fruit. It is called “Amla berry” as well. You can add 1 tsp. of “Amla berry powder” to your smoothies to make it more powerful. They have 261-μg mol TE/100g of antioxidants and this will make your smoothies more than 200 times more detoxifying. Just a side note!!  

“Refresh Me” Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 ripe peach, frozen

• 1 ripe pear, frozen

• 1 tablespoon of chia seeds

• 1 cup of almond milk

• 1 cup of cold, filtered water

• ½  cup of parsley

• You can add 1 tsp of Amla powder!!

“Watermelon” Detox

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cup of watermelon

• 200 mL of cold, filtered water

• 1 cup of spinach

• ½ cup of kale

• ½ cup of parsley

• ½ cup of blueberries, froze

New Me, Green Detox Smoothie

1.5 cups kale or spinach

1/2 cucumber, chopped

1 small lemon, peel removed

1/2 ripe banana, frozen

1 cup pineapple, frozen

1 tablespoons chia seeds

1 cup of almond milk

1 cup cold, filtered water

Don’t forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day to get rid of the toxins. Reduce your salt amount for the times you are drinking these smoothies to make them take action. If you can, do some yoga, exercise and eat mostly whole plant-based foods to get rid of the inflammation and bloating. Be kind to your body and I promise, it will reward you back!

I am Deniz Oncel and I major in biochemistry as a pre-med in LMU. I love reading, writing about health, fashion, and fitness. I was a professional ice-skater when I was young and I always love trying out new sports as a way of developing myself.