No Host? Announcers throwing shade? Academy Museum? A 2019 Oscars Recap!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

The 2019 Oscars once again brought together all of our favorite filmmakers celebrating what we love; film. In addition to the art form, the 91st Academy Awards gave us a night to remember as Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s performance sweep people off their feet, Tyler Perry through shade at the Academy for almost omitting a couple vital awards from the live show, and for the first time in 30 years, there was no host! Check out the highlights below to find out more!

But first, lets recap on all the winners just in case you missed them!

Best Picture:

• Black Panther

• BlacKkKlansman

• Bohemian Rhapsody

• The Favourite

• Green Book

• Roma

• A Star is Born

• Vice

WINNER: Green Book

Best Director:

• Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman

• Pawel Pawlikowski, Cold War

• Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite

• Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

• Adam McKay, Vice

WINNER: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Best Actor:

• Christian Bale, Vice

• Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born

• Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate

• Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

• Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

WINNER: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Actress:

• Yalitza Aparicio, Roma

• Glenn Close, The Wife

• Olivia Colman, The Favourite

• Lady Gaga, A Star is Born

• Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

WINNER: Olivia Colman, The Favourite

Best Supporting Actor:

• Mahershala Ali, Green Book

• Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman

• Sam Elliott, A Star is Born

• Richard. E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

• Sam Rockwell, Vice

WINNER: Mahershala Ali, Green Book

​Best Supporting Actress:

• Amy Adams, Vice

• Emma Stone, The Favourite

• Marina de Tavira, Roma

• Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

• Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

WINNER: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Original Screenplay:

• The Favourite

• First Reformed

• Green Book

• Roma

• Vice

WINNER: Green Book

Best Adapted Screenplay:

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

• BlacKkKlansman

• Can You Ever Forgive Me?

• If Beale Street Could Talk

• A Star is Born

WINNER: BlacKkKlansman

Best Cinematography:

• Cold War

• The Favourite

• Never Look Away

• Roma

• A Star is Born

WINNER: Roma

Best Film Editing:

• BlacKkKlansman

• Bohemian Rhapsody

• The Favourite

• Green Book

• Vice

WINNER: Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Sound Mixing:

• Black Panther

• Bohemian Rhapsody

• First Man

• Roma

• A Star is Born

WINNER: Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Sound Editing:

• Black Panther (Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boeddeker)

• Bohemian Rhapsody (John Warhurst and Nina Hartstone)

• First Man (Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan)

• A Quiet Place (Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl)

• Roma (Sergio Diaz, Skip Lievsay)

WINNER: Bohemian Rhapsody (John Warhurst and Nina Hartstone)

Best Original Score:

• Black Panther, Ludwig Goransson

• BlacKkKlansman, Terence Blanchard

• If Beale Street Could Talk, Nicholas Britell

• Isle of Dogs, Alexandre Desplat

• Mary Poppins Returns, Marc Shaiman

WINNER: Black Panther, Ludwig Goransson

Best Original Song:

• “All the Stars,” Black Panther (written by Kendrick Lamar, Al Shux, Sounwave, SZA, Anthony Tiffith; performed by Kendrick Lamar and SZA)

• “I’ll Fight,” RBG (written by Diane Warren; performed by Jennifer Hudson)

• “The Place Where Lost Things Go,” Mary Poppins Returns (written by Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman; performed by Emily Blunt)

• “Shallow” A Star is Born (written by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt; performed by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga)

• “When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings,” The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (written by Dave Rawlings, Gillian Welch; performed by Tim Blake Nelson, Willie Watson)

WINNER: “Shallow”, A Star is Born

Best Animated Feature​:

• Incredibles 2

• Isle of Dogs

• Mirai

• Ralph Breaks the Internet

• Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

WINNER: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best Costume Design:

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Mary Zophres)

• Black Panther (Ruth E. Carter)

• The Favourite (Sandy Powell)

• Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)

• Mary Queen of Scots (Alexandra Byrne)

WINNER: Black Panther (Ruth E. Carter)

Best Visual Effects:

• Avengers: Infinity War

• Christopher Robin

• First Man

• Ready Player One

• Solo: A Star Wars Story

WINNER: First Man

Best Animated Short Film:

• Animal Behaviour

• Bao

• Late Afternoon

• One Small Step

• Weekends

WINNER: Bao

Best Documentary Feature:

• Free Solo

• Hale County This Morning, This Evening

• Minding the Gap

• Of Fathers and Sons

• RBG

WINNER: Free Solo

Best Documentary Short:

• Black Sheep

• End Game

• Lifeboat

• A Night at the Garden

• Period. End of Sentence.

WINNER: Period. End of Sentence.

Best Foreign Language Film:

• Capernaum (Lebanon)

• Cold War (Poland)

• Never Look Away (Germany)

• Roma (Mexico)

• Shoplifters (Japan)

WINNER: Roma (Mexico)

Best Production Design:

• Black Panther

• The Favourite

• First Man

• Mary Poppins Returns

• Roma

WINNER: Black Panther

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:

• Border

• Mary Queen of Scots

• Vice

WINNER: Vice

Best Live-Action Short Film:

• Detainment

• Fauve

• Marguerite

• Mother

• Skin

WINNER: Skin

Oscars Highlights:

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s live performance of “Shallow”:

Not only was this an amazing performance as they brought all the romance, drama, and intensity as they did in their on screen performances but the moment was also very special because the song, “Shallow” won Gaga her first Oscar. Their chemistry and amazing vocals lit up the Oscars and definitely left a strong impression on everyone watching.

Tyler Perry’s Shade To The Academy:

“ It is a true honor for me to present this next award live on camera, not during a commercial break, thank you Academy.”

Here, Tyler Perry throws shade at the Academy while presenting the award for Best Cinematography for their temporary decision to cut particular awards such as cinematography and editing from the main show. They were originally planning on just announcing such awards during the commercial break. However due to intense backlash The Academy put them back into the live show’s schedule. Like many, I’m glad they did because many viewers forget that a movie isn’t just about actors and directors but a lot of the magic and creativity happens with more technical aspects such a cinematography and editing.

Michael Keaton and the Award for Best Film Editing:

Similar to Perry’s statement, famous actor, Michael Keaton, made one of his own when presenting the award for Best Film editing. Keaton attacks the same issue when he mentions how it would a mistake to believe that “shooting” a film and “making” a film are the same thing. He explains that editing is a vital part of the filmmaking process as it adds suspense, rhythm, and character. Similar to Perry’s motives, Keaton not only wanted to call out the Academy but also let viewers at home understand these awards importance but more specifically understand why the people who do these jobs for the industry are important.

Announcement of the Academy Museum of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:

The Academy took a special break from the program to announce the 2019 opening of the Academy Museum of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences right here in Los Angeles, California. The museum will be the nation’s first large scale museum completely dedicated to the art, science, craft, business, and history of film. It is designed to be an interactive and immersive experience that takes visitors through the cultural and creative contributions of Hollywood and the film industry.

Below is a sketch of what the Museum will look like:

No Host?

The biggest highlight of the night was undoubtedly the lack of a host. Since 1989 (30 years), The Oscars has not gone on without a host but 91st Award Show did. However, this originally was not the case. Kevin Hart was offered and accepted the job as hosting the Oscars. But then some twitter users dug up homophobic tweets made by Hart years ago and due to immense backlash Hart decided to step down from the position despite the Academy’s encouragement to simply put out a statement. Then, the Academy offered the job to several other contenders who all passed it down. The pressure of being the host and the fear of receiving backlash such as Kevin did, left many who were offered the job an immediate decline of the position. The Academy finally gave up and decided to simply not have a host. But did this decision hurt them? For the most part while watching the show, I couldn’t really notice. However, without the opening monologue and farewell, the show all in all did feel a little bit lacking that extra quality that the usual Oscars I’ve watched throughout the years.

Like all things, the Oscars had its good and not so good moments but overall there were no winner-mess ups or actor falls or black cut outs in the live stream. Instead, there was a lot of well deserving artists who won in some amazing categories and people of all genders, races, and sexualities coming together to appreciate and celebrate the art form, so really the show was a great one!

Hi! My name is Sabrina Darian. I'm originally from San Diego, California but I am currently in Los Angeles studying Film and Television Production at Loyola Marymount University. As a freshman, I'm new to college and all the wonderful experiences it has to offer but I have big dreams and ideas and a voice that I want to use to spread awareness, empowerment, empathy, and love! I'm so excited to be apart of HER Campus and to have this platform for my voice! On top of my work for HC I am in the Women's Society for SFTV(the film school at LMU), I'm going to be rushing in the spring to hopefully join a sorority, I'm starting a new a cappella group with my friends called The New Oppor-Tunes, and I hope to join ASLMU! On a more casual note, some of my favorite things to do in my free time are shopping, watching/making films, listening to music, going to the beach, hiking, exploring new places like restaurants or pop-up art galleries, and simply having fun nights out with my friends. If you see me around, I'm super friendly so be sure to say "Hi"!
Alison is a Senior Marketing major at Loyola Marymount University. She is also President of Her Campus at LMU and has been involved since her freshman year. She enjoys writing, running, going to the beach, and is always down for a cute brunch.