This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

New York Fashion Week: a two weeks a year devoted to all things fashion; a week in September and a week in February. Designers showcase their latest collections as celebrities, socialites, and other A-Listers watch from the front row. The streets are filled with impeccable style, as fashion lovers from all over dream of being photographed outside these shows. Headlines are booming with fashion news and the happenings during and after the shows. The latest Fashion Week just wrapped up in New York, spanning from September 6-14. Designers showcased their Spring/Summer 2019 collections to fashion’s A-Listers, yet somehow me, a college sophomore and by no means a fashion A-Lister (yet), was given the opportunity to watch from the front row and go backstage.

I bet now you are all wondering how the heck I got into New York Fashion Week, NYFW, for short, or how I even got within a foot of the runway among all of these high profile individuals?! My cousin Kaitlin O’Toole is a freelance host, having hosted for networks such as MTV. She works with a popular fashion network on Amazon called FNL, Fashion News Live and went to fashion week to work with them. Luckily for me, the network allowed for her to bring me as a plus one!

My time in New York was all I could ever imagine and more. Every day was filled with going to shows and events. I was in New York from the seventh to the fifteenth, enough time to witness some of the highlights of Fashion Week. Many of you were able to see a behind the scenes look from my daily Instagram stories on Her Campus, but in this article I’m going to give you a glimpse of my time at Fashion Week, showcasing some of my favorite outfits and describing some of the best shows I attended.

OUTFIT

My Outfit: I was inspired by both streetwear and a mix of high fashion. I wore a V Files cap with a Calvin Klein tee and Levis. To add a touch of high fashion, I paired this look with my thigh high Dolls Kill sequined boots (which were a HUGE hit)

THE SHOW: FLYING SOLO

My first Fashion Week fashion show was Flying Solo. Flying Solo was launched by a group of designers with a unique approach to the uber-competitive fashion industry. Instead of having designers compete with each other, why don’t they mesh their talents and collaborate? With this idea Flying Solo was born. Flying Solo has celebrity clients such as Cardi B, Kehlani, Alicia Keys, and Gigi Hadid. Sponsored by Nylon magazine, the Spring/Summer 2019 show showcased over 70 designers and over 340 unique looks, showing off menswear, womenswear, and accessories.

OUTFIT

My Outfit: I was honestly inspired by my favorite emoji, the cherry emoji and wanted to go all red.

THE SHOW: OXFORD FASHION STUDIO

I went to a series of shows called Oxford Fashion Studio. There were three shows that highlighted multiple designers and their collections for Spring/Summer 2019. These designers were from all over the world.

While I was in New York for Fashion Week, I went to countless shows and other fashion related events. These two shows were my favorites because I felt as though they were the most unique, as I love shows that mix multiple designers. I’m already so excited for the next fashion week! Stay tuned for more in February as I see what is in store for the Fall/Winter 2019 collections!

Studio Arts major at Loyola Marymount University interested in all things fashion, beauty, art, and pop culture. @imemilycatherine