My Thoughts on Tiger King, as an Aspiring Documentary Filmmaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

As an avid lover of nonfiction media, I came to film school with the intention of focusing on documentary filmmaking. I love documentaries, so when Netflix’s Tiger King became a social phenomenon, I knew I had to check it off my watch list. 

Tiger King is a limited series, retelling the story of Joe Exotic, a “gun-totin’ gay polygamist” zoo owner in Wynnewood, Oklahoma, hosting over 200 big cats, along with many other exotic animals. Without revealing any spoilers, his story is a whirlwind, from his life as a zoo owner, his relationships, political campaigns, a slew of crimes and lawsuits, and his eventual downfall. 

turned on flat screen tv with remote
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters from Unsplash

Joe Exotic is a trashy, mulleted red-neck. He is not likable, nor is anyone else in the broad cast of characters in Tiger King. The story is complex, formed through the stories of dozens of different people to shed light on the community of exotic animal owners, and the life of Joe Exotic. However, the filmmakers, Eric Goode and Rebecca Chaiklin, do an excellent job of weaving these different pieces together to create a cohesive story. The story is impossible to describe through one voice; if you’ve watched the series, you know how difficult it is to explain to someone who hasn’t seen it. However, Goode and Chaiklin lay out the pieces of the story to make it easy enough to understand for it to become a viral sensation. Even though Tiger King has so many elements, the logical path it takes prevents it from feeling like the story is going off on tangents. The way the directors take the accounts of so many sources and dive into the stories of not only the main character, Joe Exotic, but also Carole Baskin and Doc Antle, creates an incredibly dynamic work. 

Not only is the story well-structured, but it is also incredibly engaging. The true-life story is riveting and unpredictable. Although the characters and the plot are so outlandish, Tiger King will take you through a range of emotions. Moments of sadness that I never expected, along with surprise and suspense, were layered throughout the story.

The production quality is great. The camera work is artful, proving that one can still develop a creative aesthetic while telling a nonfiction story. In addition, the use of secondary footage, known as B-Roll, as well as the use of graphics, helped elevate the story.

Directors Eric Goode and Rebecca Chaiklin do an excellent job of putting together the shocking story of the Tiger King. It is a phenomenon for a reason; once you start watching it is impossible to stop. This limited series is a great introduction to documentary for people who may not have been previously interested in non-fiction. Tiger King is an absolute must-watch series.

Marisa is a film production and international relations double major and philosophy minor. She loves iced coffee, watching movies, and of course her HerCampus family!
Her Campus LMU