oscar 2103653 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 2103653 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

My Oscar Picks and Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Some people’s favorite seasons are summer or fall, but awards season is the most captivating time of year for me. The Oscars are slowly, but surely, approaching and I couldn’t be more excited. Each year I like to predict what I think will win, a sort of game I do with the Academy. Here are my predictions for nine of the biggest categories of the night for what I think will win and what I personally hope to win.

Best Actor

Andrew Garfield’s talent is undeniable, and Tick…Tick…BOOM! showcased it all perfectly, especially when you find out he learned how to sing for the role (and absolutely nailed it). He absolutely deserves to win this honor, but Benedict Cumberbatch is giving him a run for his money. Cumberbatch’s intense role in The Power of the Dog is so deeply captivating and is definitely the type of performance the Academy tends to go for. Andrew Garfield in Tick…Tick… BOOM! Is my personal pick to win, but I predict that Benedict Cumberbatch in The Power of the Dog will take home the award–which I won’t be mad about either. 

Best Actress

I was absolutely elated to see Kristen Stewart get a nomination for her role in Spencer; she may be a household name but she is still so underrated. And though Nicole Kidman won the Golden Globe for her performance in Being the Ricardos, I think Jessica Chastain’s role in The Eyes of Tammy Faye is something the Academy likes. Kristen Stewart for Spencer is absolutely my personal pick, but I predict that Jessica Chastain for The Eyes of Tammy Faye will take the win for this category.

Best Supporting Actor

It definitely says something that two of The Power of the Dog’s actors were nominated for this award, but one of the two stands out more to me. Considering his Golden Globe win for best supporting actor for this role, Kodi Smit-McPhee in The Power of the Dog is both my personal pick and prediction to win.

Best Supporting Actress

I would truly do anything for uber-talented Ariana DeBose. She absolutely blew me away with her performance, so Ariana DeBose for West Side Story is my definite personal pick to win. If her Golden Globe win is any indication–and Golden Globes wins often are–I believe DeBose is a shoe-in to win at the Oscars too. DeBose is my prediction to win as well.

Best Cinematography

There were some seriously visually beautiful movies this year and a huge reason for that is the cinematographers. Dune’s nomination was no surprise considering its scale and attention to detail, which is why Greg Fraser for Dune is my prediction to win. Though I adore Dune, Janusz Kaminski’s work on West Side Story was jaw-dropping, making it my personal pick.

Best Original Song

It’s hard for me not to root for the Bond theme made by the Gen-Z queen Billie Eilish and her brother. Not only is it a beautiful song, but the Academy tends to like Bond themes. However, there is one song I think is seriously challenging “No Time to Die”, and that’s “Dos Oruguitas” from Encanto. Another beautiful song from an immensely popular film, “Dos Oruguitas” from Encanto is my prediction to win, but “No Time to Die” from No Time to Die is my personal pick.

Best Original Score

Hans Zimmer has made some of my favorite scores of all time, and his work on Dune is no exception. The score of this movie was one of many parts that created such a distinct atmosphere in the science fiction movie. Based on name recognition and my personal appreciation for Zimmer, Hans Zimmer for Dune is both my pick and my prediction to win.

Best Director

Though I loved basically everything about West Side Story, I truthfully wasn’t expecting to see Steven Spielberg earn a nomination; however, I am pleasantly surprised and would love to see him win this award. Though Steven Spielberg for West Side Story is my personal pick, I’m not convinced the Academy will go for him. Instead, I think the Academy will award this to Jane Campion for The Power of the Dog–who I would not be mad about winning.

Best Picture

Completely skipping over the fact that I am immensely disappointed that Tick…Tick…BOOM! did not get an (extremely well-deserved) nomination, there is a clear frontrunner for this category. It is a movie I personally enjoyed and am not at all surprised the Academy enjoys it so much as well. Based on all its nominations–especially for achievement in directing, achievement in cinematography, and a nomination for the actors of every main character in the film–The Power of the Dog is both my personal pick and prediction to win.

Valentina Zamarian is a Senior Communication Studies major, double minoring in Public Relations and Women's and Gender Studies.