My Mom Became an Aesthetician and it Changed my Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Moms are truly superior beings. They can find the unfindable,  wash the unwashable, and fix the unfixable.  For most of my life, I thought my mom had done it all, seen it all, and even knew it all. But, as soon as I assumed raising three kids was enough, it did not stop there. She became a hero in the eyes of most women, young and adult, today – she became an aesthetician. If you are not familiar with this term then consider the times you received a facial or desperately needed some beauty maintenance. Or, simply mull over the fact this occupation is rooted in the word ~aesthetic~. Isn’t that what women often absorb themselves into? We are in a world of fixation on beauty and aesthetic improvements. Naturally, I slipped into a lifestyle of hosting top tier dermatologist-prescribed products in my not-so-aesthetic college bathroom drawers. My sporadic, reactive mentality has made a transformational 180.

Here’s how my mom becoming an aesthetician changed my life:

1. Sugar and dairy, as you probably know now, are not only unhealthy for your body when consumed in excessive amounts, but also can be a major source to break outs. Cutting back works as a double-edged sword in benefits.

2. Exfoliating and moisturizing are equally essential. If you isolate one and ignore the other you are going to run into problems.

3. Life is about balance. Too much dryness or too much oil on your skin will cause your skin to overcompensate one way or the other. Glycolic washes and facials periodically keep your skin care on a healthy check and balance system.

4. Do you walk into drug stores just like you walk into Sephora? Losing your mind and more importantly all of your paycheck? My mom said, “if you’re going to spend money on skin care products, it better be prescribed by a dermatologist, doctor or aesthetician.” Stop buying over-the-counter BS.

5. Sunscreen is cool. Remember when your mom smothered you with layers of white sunscreen all over your body? She was on to something. If you don’t want to be an old, crinkly raisin by the time you hit fifty-years-old make applying sunscreen part of your daily routine.

There’s no turning back for me now. My lazy self can no longer settle for the sole use of make-up remover towelettes to clean my face after a brutal day. I can no longer rely on tanned skin as the aftermath of frying my skin under the sun. I am obligated to uphold skin care as a priority in my life, taking on yet another responsibility of adulting I wish to avoid. However, the pay-offs are displayed each and every day I choose to adhere to the benefits of my mom’s aesthetician ventures, aka heroism. Besides, moms always know best, right?

LMU Senior. Marketing Major/Studio Arts Minor. DG gal. Ms. Worldwide