This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

2020 seemed like the ultimate year for movies and film lovers. However, the COVID-19 pandemic placed a huge pause on movies set to release in 2020 and the coming years. Despite this, the hype is still alive for some of the most anticipated movies of the decade! This article will detail some of these movies, all of which are set to be released in 2021 and beyond.

“Don’t Worry Darling”

Directed by Olivia Wilde and featuring big-name stars like Florence Pugh, Harry Styles (yes, you read that correctly), Gemma Chan, and Chris Pine, “Don’t Worry Darling” is described as a psychological thriller about a young married couple set in the 1950s. Styles is set to play the role of Jack and Pugh to play Alice, together with taking center stage as the main roles of the married couple in question. Currently, there are little to no details about the movie, including a release date, a specific synopsis, a trailer, or even a poster. While there are no details specifying exactly what audiences will experience while watching this, the movie has recently wrapped up production.

“Dune”

Based on the novel of the same name, “Dune” is directed by Denis Villeneuve and includes notable actors such as Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, and Oscar Isaac. This sci-fi film follows the life of Paul Atreides, the son of a noble family, and his journey to protect the desert planet Arrakis. “Dune” was set to debut on Dec. 18, 2020, but is now slated to be released on Oct. 1 in theaters and on HBO Max!

“The Batman”

Yes, there are a billion Batman movies already, but this one is different (maybe)! Directed by Matt Reeves and starring Robert Pattinson as Batman and Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman, “The Batman” is the beginning of another reboot of the Batman series and is slated to release in 2022 despite its original 2021 release date. While there is a trailer out, there is no specific plot detailing exactly what the movie is about, other than likely being an origin story. Nonetheless, I’m ready for the world to stop referring to Robert Pattinson as just the “Twilight” guy that sparkles in the sun.

“Candyman”

If you’re one for horror, mystery, and thriller, or simply a Jordan Peele fan, “Candyman” might just be the one for you. Directed by Nia DaCosta and starring Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Teyonah Parris, “Candyman” focuses on the life of Anthony McCoy, an aspiring visual artist. Set in the present day in Chicago’s Cabrini Green neighborhood (now gentrified beyond recognition), McCoy comes across the urban legend of the Candyman and attempts to use such inspiration in his art, unknowing of the fact that through it all, his sanity begins to unravel and violence is unleashed. “Candyman” has been rescheduled three times in 2020, now confirmed to have a release date of Aug. 27.

And Literally Any Marvel Movie

Technically not a movie title, but at this point, any Marvel movie would suffice. Marvel shows like “WandaVision” and “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” have been a blessing in disguise. But it’s hard to ignore the fact that movies like “Black Widow” and “The Eternals,” both originally scheduled to have a 2020 release date, have been constantly pushed back indefinitely. The upside to this, however, is the Marvel Studios timeline is packed with many different shows and movies set to all be released within the same year(s)!

While this is only a list of five movies, it is not an exhaustive one of all the movies to look out for in the coming years. If anything, this list is not even close to what the future years have in store for us. Moreover, if this list of movies is making you feel impatient and frustrated, I have a quick fix for you. Netflix has announced earlier this year its schedule of movies, releasing a new one every week. Hopefully, that will satisfy your quench for the time being!

Vivian is a junior majoring in journalism. She was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. In her free time, you will often find her watching sitcoms, crocheting, reading, or scrolling through Twitter for the best memes.
Her Campus LMU