The Movies that Made Men: 15 of the Most Sought-After Heartthrobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

That moment when that spark goes off. You know it’s a match made in heaven. Yes ladies, you all know what I’m talking about. It’s that moment when you realize that your life is finally whole and your revelation has arrived: he is first seen.

We’ve all been there, and it is us who can be thanked for the notoriety of our favorite heartthrobs.

There is no denying that Hollywood’s most wanted man candy is crazy talented. These actors have been the very reason behind the great success of the movies they’re in. But it’s their certain roles that have not only launched these men to categories like”‘the sexiest alive” and “the top 100”, but most importantly to our eyes and hearts alike.

I bring you the hit list (over 60 years in the making!) of 15 men who stole our hearts, and their breakthrough movie in which we will forever remember them.

1. James Dean – Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

The man who changed the world, at least for this article!

2. Richard Beymer – West Side Story (1962)

My mom once told me that I resemble the great Natalie Wood. In this instance, I totally agree! This Iowa native’s liking was launched after his portrayal of Tony in this famous hit musical.

3. Sean Connery – The original James Bond films (1960’s)

Connery. Sean Connery. Yes, we were fortunate enough to have the dashing Scotsman as the original Bond in Dr. No, as well as some of the other most famous 007 films, such as Goldfinger and Thunderball, all of which contributed to him being one of the screen’s most notable characters.

4. John Travolta – Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Although we tend to associate that face with the beloved Danny Zuko, Travolta’s popularity truly began a year earlier when he starred in this disco classic with music by the Bee-Gee’s.

5. Tom Cruise – Top Gun (1986)

If there’s a driving force in my life, the one that keeps me going five minutes longer on the treadmill or (maybe) keeps me from eating my usual pint of Ben and Jerry’s, it’s him. In pure form. Even to this day.

6. Patrick Swayze – Dirty Dancing (1987)

…and I owe it all to youuuuuuuuu… The Texas-native paved his career with this classic 80’s flick along with the beloved Jennifer Grey.

7. Christian Slater – Heathers (1988)

What is it that keeps us so hung up on the bad ones? The mysterious ones? The crazy ones? Slater’s handsomeness along with his portrayal of the rebellious Jason “J.D.” Dean in the dark comedy classic forever sealed his fate as a heartthrob.

8. Brad Pitt – Thelma & Louise (1991)

Pitt’s small role in this early 90’s road film forever launched him as the megastar we all know today.

9. Leonardo DiCaprio – Romeo & Juliet (1996) and Titanic (1997)

Leo. Just Leo.

10. Ryan Gosling – The Notebook (2004)

Yes Ryan. If you’re a bird, I’m a bird.

11. Zac Efron – High School Musical (2006)

This very well may be the true reason why 99% of us still know every word to every song from the most iconic movie of our childhoods.

12. Rob Pattinson – Twilight (2008)

Although we had seen Pattinson as Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter films, it will forever be the dreamy Edward Cullen that we will remember him as first.

13. Taylor Lautner – The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)

Just as Pattinson stole us in the first movie, Lautner took us in the second. AND TEAM JACOB FOR LIFE.

14. Channing Tatum – Magic Mike (2012)

Does this need explaining either?

And last but certainly not least…

15. Bill Skarsgård – It (2017)

Perhaps our most interesting, and surprising newcomer, Bill Skarsgård is nothing short of near perfect.

But you may be wondering who this is, or why you haven’t recognized him yet? That’s because the dashing young Swede, son of actor Stellan Skarsgård and brother to Alexander Skarsgård, has made recent headway for his portrayal of Pennywise, the Dancing Clown, in the 2017 remake of Stephen King’s classic horror story, It.

There’s no question that the clown is absolutely terrifying, but once the world truly discovered who was under the makeup and the outfit, we couldn’t help but absolutely fall in love with him. This may be the first time we’ve ever gone crazy over a clown, people.

I’ll just leave it here…

School: Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles, California) Hometown: Tyler, Texas Major: International Relations Hobbies: Musical Theatre, Singing, Fitness, Yoga, Modeling, Traveling TV Shows: American Horror Story, Feud, American Crime Story, Handmaid's Tale, Orange is the New Black, Dexter, Riverdale Music: Lady Gaga, Led Zeppelin, Guns n' Roses, Lana del Rey, Anderson Paak, The Eagles, Joan Jett (truly any classic rock) Movies: Slumdog Millionaire, Atomic Blonde, Gone Girl, Chicago Books: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Food: Indian, Chinese, Tex-Mex, Chicago Dogs, Acai Bowls, Pearl Tea Favorite Colors: Lavender, Gold Favorite Places: New York City, Los Angeles, London, Dubai, Paris
Her Campus LMU