This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

While there are hundreds of beauty trends growing increasingly popular, microneedling is a skin procedure that has recently become available for users at home without requiring a licensed medical professional! While the needles are shorter and can cause less damage, the treatment is still very effective and impactful. 

Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, is extremely effective in reducing the appearance of acne scars and discoloration, improving skin texture and appearance, combating rosacea, and it also enhances product absorption into the skin. The procedure consists of an expert technician using a small tool with very fine needles. When passing over the skin, these fine needles puncture the skin’s dermis (a deeper layer of skin), stimulating collagen growth and other healing factors – ultimately preventing thinning and sagging of the skin due to the effect of time on skin’s elasticity. Numbing ointment is typically applied prior to the procedure.

Microneedling at home is cheaper, less painful, and requires little to no downtime. While the effects may not be as significant as an in-clinic treatment, at-home microneedling is still effective. There are several brands such as Beautybio that sell at-home microneedling sets that can allow you to transform your skin from the comfort of your own home. In addition, Amazon sells a variety of microneedling tools. 

With my relatively low pain tolerance, I was very nervous and skeptical of this treatment. The idea of needles poking into my skin did not seem pleasant – to say the least. However, the pain was very minimal, and I definitely got used to the sensation after several uses. I began to establish it into my skincare routine, and began to see results! Microneedling allows your skin to fully absorb your products, allowing you to save money and to make the most out of your products! 

This treatment may not be for everyone as there are several associated risks such as swelling, redness, irritation, and dryness. In addition, in order to prevent infection be sure to sanitize the needles by simply spraying alcohol on them before and/or after each use, and to cleanse your face prior to the treatment! As everyone has different skin types and sensitivities, always approach new treatments with caution, and if you have any other concerns or questions, be sure to consult your dermatologist. Skin appearance can hinder self-esteem, so it can be very important to feel confident in one’s own skin. It is always interesting to try new treatments and to practice self-care! 

Hi! My name is Victoria van Pruissen and I am from Marin County, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco! I am a junior Finance major and Psychology minor at LMU, and am proud to be a contributor of HerCampus. I am fluent in French, and can speak a decent amount of Spanish. I love to read and travel, and spend time with family and friends!