Local’s Guide to LA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Made up of 88 different cities, there is always something to do in Los Angeles County. Having spent my entire life in the city of stars, every day is an LA adventure. Here’s a list of my own local favorites that are definitely worth a visit.

Amoeba Music

Probably one of the largest music stores I’ve ever been into, Amoeba sells CD’s, VHS, DVD’s, and vinyl records. I have spent countless afternoons just browsing their massive collection. They also offer free shows for big name artists, so check out their website to see who’s next!

Point Dume State Beach

An ideal location for swimming, surfing, or even just taking cute pictures by the bluff, Point Dume has to be my favorite of all of LA’s beaches. Point Dume usually isn’t super crowded and during the winter and spring, it’s an ideal whale watching spot. Every day at Point Dume is truly a day at the beach!

Ventura Boulevard

The set of Haim’s “Want You Back” background is Ventura Boulevard, essentially the backbone of Los Angeles’s iconic San Fernando Valley. A great place to spend the day walking and shopping, the boulevard boasts many incredible stores such as Brandy Melville, Iguana Vintage, Buffalo Exchange, Paper Source, and BookStar.

Fosselman’s Ice Cream

I don’t think there are enough words in the English language to tell you how in love I am with Fosselman’s ice cream. Every flavor I have tried has been incredible and the shop itself is an old-fashioned soda shop which is beyond adorable. Lactose intolerant? Don’t worry, Fosselman’s usually carries at least one-dairy free flavor, and is also a full-service candy counter, so there will be a treat for you to enjoy!

MidiCi

Approximately half of my high school diet consisted of MidiCi’s Neapolitan pizza. The delicious pizza isn’t the only thing that separates MidiCi from the countless other pizza places in LA, though. Their founding belief that “people are the best thing that can happen to anyone” is not just a cute mural on the outside of the establishment. MidiCi always has something to encourage dining with friends, whether that be cute polaroid cameras to create physical memories or free desert! There is currently only one location in Sherman Oaks, but there are locations coming to both Marina Del Rey and Century City so keep your eyes peeled!

The Bigg Chill

With its signature neon sign, this Westwood frozen yogurt shop easily solidifies its status as a new classic. While the shop is known for its fresh frozen yogurt, the real star is their vegan cookie dough topping, which is also sold in containers by itself. The Bigg Chill changes its flavors three times a week, so stop in and try something new!

The Last Bookstore

I’m a total book nerd, so spending the entire day in the store is my idea of a perfect day. In addition to new and used books, they also have a labyrinth of books, a rare books section, and vinyl records, so there’s truly something for everyone.

Pink Taco

Pink Taco on the Sunset Strip is a very popular birthday restaurant among my friends, understandably due to their tasty tacos made from local ingredients. If you still need more convincing, their signature walls make from an Insta-worthy photo background.

The Griffith Observatory

The backdrop of many iconic movies, the Griffith Observatory is practically synonymous with Los Angeles itself. Surely this is on every guide to Los Angeles, but I couldn’t write a list of favorites without it, because it’s my favorite spot in the entire city. The lawn in front is perfect for picnics and the planetarium shows are super interesting and only $5 for students! I’ve gone so many times but I still haven’t gotten sick of the view, but then again, I don’t think I ever will.

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball.