This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

With a free weekend to spend during my study abroad, I turned to Vogue, one of my favorite sources for everything from fashion to travel for an idea on what to do. I hit the jackpot, finding a Vogue guide to a weekend in Italy with stops in the fashion capital Milan and vacation spot of the stars, Lake Como. Of course, neither high fashion nor these vacation spots are cheap, so I had to make some adjustments for the student budget. Here’s how I did Vogue’s weekend in Italy without breaking my bank account.

Milan

As fabulous as the Straf Hotel sounds, I opted for the more economical Best Western, and indulged in their breakfast buffet. After breakfast, however, I did take a stop at their breakfast suggestion, Bar Luce. The café is just as described something out of Hollywood, or what I imagine it would have been like years ago!

The Fondazione Prada Museum, which hosts the café, was also not to be missed. My personal favorite exhibit was a blackout hallway which led into an Alice in Wonderland -esque room filled with bright mushrooms.

Next, I headed to what Vogue referred to as Milan’s “shopping Mecca” where I window shopped in the gorgeous designer shops. Then, continuing to walk towards the Duomo, I found some more affordable yet chic European shops, such as Desigual.

A little worn out from a busy day, I swapped out the suggested spa appointment for take in food and Netflix in my room, in order to prepare for another amazing day!

Lake Como

I love fashion, but the window displays couldn’t compare to the beauty of lake como. I didn’t stay in the suggested hotel (which was upwards of 1000 euros a night!) but sitting on the public beach and ferrying between adorable cities was breathtaking on its own!

I can totally see why the Clooneys and so many other celebrities love this beautiful lake! If you’re studying abroad, or just visiting Italy, these destinations are definitely not to be missed!