This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I’ve been thinking of getting my belly button pierced for a while. Being away at college, and away from my parents (sorry mom and dad!), I figured that now would be the perfect time to do it. Before you read this article, I need to say that I am by no means an expert – so don’t take my advice too seriously. I am simply sharing my personal experience. If you do have any questions or concerns, definitely consult an expert.

Preparation 

My main piece of advice in regards to piercings would be to do your research beforehand! Not all belly buttons are suitable for piercing. If you have an “outie”, a belly button ring probably isn’t the right thing for you, but you can ask whoever may be doing the piercing for a consultation.

I went on Yelp in order to find the best piercing shop for me. My biggest concern was ensuring that I was going to a licensed piercer. Although it’s legal to be pierced by someone unlicensed, promoting an unlicensed supplier puts others at risk. Go to the business’s website, or call if necessary, in order to have questions answered, concerning the shop’s history and standards. 

I would also recommend calling the business beforehand to schedule an appointment. Most places will accept walk-ins, but it never hurts to call. The business may be open starting at 10 AM, but you never know…the piercer might not start work until 5 PM. 

You should arrive at your appointment wearing low rise bottoms, as it is a hazard to wear anything high waisted, such as high rise jeans, leggings, or shorts. Your piercing, especially when you initially get it, will be sensitive and a little sore. So, it’s super important to keep it clear of any clothing that will put pressure on it or that could possibly snag it. 

The Appointment

You’ve made it to your appointment! Congratulations! For me, this was the biggest hurdle – mustering up the courage to actually go into the studio. If it weren’t for my roommate, who made me go with her so I wouldn’t chicken out, I don’t know if I ever would have gone. 

When I walked inside, I was welcomed into a small, clean, and comfortable space. The staff were super friendly and very supportive in helping me pick out my jewelry – they were also great at helping ease my nerves. I picked my jewelry and then waited five minutes for it to be sterilized before I entered the room. The first thing the piercer had me do was stand straight with my arms at my sides so I could be properly marked for the piercing. 

Once I was marked, I laid down on the bed and got ready to actually be pierced. From what I’d heard, the clamp was supposed to be the worst part of getting pierced. However, my piercer didn’t even use a clamp, he instead used his fingers. He explained to me why he personally felt more comfortable not using a clamp, mainly since clients tend to tense up the minute they see it. I took two deep “yoga breaths” and before I knew it, I had a belly button ring! The pain felt more like a pinch in comparison to the shocking or sharp pain you get when getting your ears pierced. It felt like I was getting a shot at the doctor’s office but in my stomach. Overall, it wasn’t that painful, and it was over in about three seconds.  So Now What?

Initially, after I got the piercing it stung a little, as it’s basically a cut trying to heal, but it was nothing unbearable. I am writing this article the day after I got my belly button pierced, and I love it! It is a hassle with all of its restrictions, but as it heals I know I will become more comfortable with it. The healing period is four months, and in that time I have to avoid all tight clothing, sleeping on my stomach, and the water (which will be very difficult, me being a Hawaii girl and all). I also have to clean it three times a day with a sea salt cleaning solution, which can be bought at a piercing shop or can be ordered on Amazon.  

If anyone reading this is thinking of getting their belly button pierced, I would say go for it! A piercing never has to be permanent. And if the pain is something that worries you, remember that it’s only temporary. Take a friend or family member, or anyone you trust, with you! They can make you feel more at ease. If a belly button piercing is something you want, maybe even something that’ll make you feel more confident, then what are you waiting for? 

Nikki is a senior at LMU from Honolulu, Hawai'i and is majoring in Communications Studies with minors in Journalism and Health and Society. She is also the president of Her Campus LMU.