How to Support Your Friends During Internship Application Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

For many of us, internship application season is in full swing. From delicate resume alterations to cranking out cover letters, many of us are feeling the pressure that comes with trying to get a head start on our careers. Although it’s nice to have friends going through a similar process as they apply to their own internships, it can also be stressful and even put a strain on certain relationships. Here are some tips for you and your friends to help support each other while applying for internships. 

Send your friends roles that you think would suit them

If you see a role you don’t personally plan to pursue, pass it on to a friend! Even if you’re not that close, it’s a kind and helpful gesture that shows you’re looking out for them. If you see something that might be a good fit for them, or a company you know they like, send the job posting their way. They’ll definitely appreciate it and may even return the favor one day, too. 

Avoid applying for the exact same position as a friend

This could make things awkward, so keep things simple and avoid applying for the same positions as your friends. Companies often have several listings; you can even apply for different roles at the same company. This relates to point one: only send your friends positions that you don’t plan to apply for. This may still happen unintentionally, since you and your friends probably aren’t sharing every detail about everything you apply for, but it will certainly help you avoid tension when and where you can.

Remember: you define your own success

A great piece of advice to remember is that you define your own success. Don’t compare yourself to other people, including your friends. This way you can enjoy your accomplishments, and the accomplishments of your friends,  without any unnecessary competition.

Applying for internships can be stressful for everyone. By supporting each other, we can avoid straining friendships and focus on helping each other succeed. Good luck!

Marisa is a film production and international relations double major and philosophy minor. She loves iced coffee, watching movies, and of course her HerCampus family!
Rylie Walsh is a recent graduate of Loyola Marymount University, where she earned her degree in Communication Studies and English! She was President of Her Campus LMU for the 2021-22 school year and is also a Her Campus National Writer. When she's not reading, writing, or working, you can find her hanging out with friends, SoulCycling, or enjoying her all time favorite dessert: a Pressed freeze.