This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Pre-pandemic, Halloween meant creative costumes, spooky treats, and partying with friends. Being unable to celebrate how we’re used to is disappointing, but we can still enjoy the holiday in a safe, socially-distanced way! Here’s a guide on how to plan the best movie night to celebrate Halloween at home.  

Preparing for the party

Make sure to coordinate with friends ahead of time to find a date and time you’re all available. This might take a little planning, especially if you’re in different time zones or trying to organize a large virtual group. If you want to go the extra mile, you can even send an online invitation through a website like Evite

Sharing the party

If you live with your closest friends and can cozy up on the couch together, you get to skip this step! However, many of us are living at home or with just a couple of roommates. Using a platform, like Teleparty (previously called Netflix Party) or Scener, is a great way to host remote movie nights to connect with friends, no matter the distance.

Choosing the movies

Are you looking for childhood throwbacks, a horror fest, or something in between? Here are some movie combinations to inspire your festive programming!

Halloween Classics:

The Addams Family (1991) – Netflix

Hocus Pocus (1993) – Disney+

Beetlejuice (1988) – Hulu Premium

Animated Favorites:

Paranorman (2012) – Netflix

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) – Disney+

Psychological Thrillers:

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) – Netflix 

American Psycho (2000) – Cinemax Go

For Stephen King fans:

In the Tall Grass (2019) – Netflix

1922 (2017) – Netflix

Gerald’s Game (2017) – Netflix

Halloween from home may not be ideal, but we can still have fun in a safe way. Maybe this pandemic creativity will even inspire your future Halloween celebrations!

Marisa is a film production and international relations double major and philosophy minor. She loves iced coffee, watching movies, and of course her HerCampus family!
Her Campus LMU