How to Navigate Mansplaining in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

We’ve all been there. Walking into your very first college class, eager to find where you’ll be sitting, what you’ll be learning, and how you can thrive in this new academic setting. Then at a moment where you feel on top of the world, mansplaining rears its ugly head. In this day and age, mansplaining can be defined as someone of the male species who explains and or attempts to re-explain what a woman has already said, but in a derogatory and condescending way that demeans women. Mansplaining can become infuriating in both an academic and social setting and here are some tips to navigate and overcome the misogynistic attitudes:

Call them out…

In these types of situations, the best way to approach the people who demean women is to simply challenge them. Identify their behavior and diplomatically, but passionately explain what mansplaining is and how ineffective and degrading it is to women. Sometimes, in these scenarios men don’t even recognize their initial actions, which is a huge part of the problem and they need to be called out and held responsible for the things being said.

Don’t Let Them Change You

At times, it may seem easier to let what is being said influence your actions and your persona. The idea of mansplaining silences women and that can change the way women will end up dealing with situations in the future. In this case, remember that despite mansplations that you can and will surpass the people who degrade you.

Stand up for Others

The biggest issue to mansplaining is when bystanders who understand the problem stay quiet. If you are able stand up for those who don’t have the courage to stand up for themselves, just do it. It may seem confrontational, but in the end it is worth it when women inevitably break that glass ceiling.

At the end of the day, we as women have an obligation to challenge others because our thoughts and opinions mean something and in life nothing will ever be handed to you. In this case we must fight harder than ever before because that glass ceiling isn’t going to break itself.

Hi!! I'm Christina Fazio and I'm a psychology major and double minor in Women and Gender Studies & Journalism at LMU and am originally from the Hollywood area. I typically love to talk about social justice issues, mental health issues and I enjoy the simple things in life including journalism, binge-watching shows on Netflix, and looking out at the Bluff at LMU. Constantly learning new ways to be informed and educated and sharing that through my writing.