This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Hi, I’m Sophie, a Disneyland expert and addict. This weekend, Mane Entertainment is hosting a trip off the bluff to go to Disneyland! When I heard about this event I was (obviously) super excited about it, and I thought I would give some of my expert tips on how to get the most out of your money in Disneyland with only one day to enjoy the whole park.

Get MaxPass

Let’s be real, one of the main reasons we go to Disneyland is for the amazing and super fun rides they have. But, long lines can detract from the fun and take up most of the day. That’s why last year Disney started offering a service called MaxPass  as an add-on to a park ticket for just $10 that lets you book Fastpasses, which allow you to skip the line and wait a fraction of the time, from your phone! When I first heard of MaxPass I was super skeptical, because I’d been using paper Fastpasses for free for years, but I can tell you wholeheartedly that buying MaxPass is absolutely WORTH IT! The amount of time and energy you save with it is astounding, and you can get on so many more rides throughout the day. Plus, you get free professional photos with Disney PhotoPass included! Who can say no to skipping the line and free HD pics for Instagram? Not me!

Prioritize Your Time Beforehand

I’m not saying you have to have a full itinerary, but it’s a good idea to figure out what rides are your top priorities for the day, so that you don’t end up missing the one ride you wanted to go on. Nobody wants to miss Space Mountain! Also, be sure to take advantage of low crowds in the morning. That’s your time to do as much as possible before it gets too busy.

Pro Tip: If you can’t get a fastpass, use the Single Rider line! As long as you’re okay sitting next to a stranger, this is a great way to get on some of the most popular rides in the park without the wait.

Have the Best Eats!

Now onto my personal favorite part of Disneyland: THE FOOD! Disney has arguably the best theme park food in the world, so here’s my comprehensive list of the best (and most reasonable) foods throughout the park you MUST try.

Dole Whip – $4.99

Ah, the famous Dole Whip. It really is as good as people say. This magnificent pineapple soft serve is heaven on Earth, and is a perfect refreshment on a hot day.

Pro Tip: Skip the line and use Mobile Ordering on the official Disneyland app. Can be used at multiple locations and is SO convenient. You can also upgrade to a Dole Float, which is pineapple juice with soft serve on top.

Dole Whip can be found at the entrance to Adventureland.

Corn Dog – $6.79

One of, if not my absolute favorite Disneyland snack. It’s more like a meal, really. These fresh hand-dipped corn dogs are the best that I’ve ever had, and will absolutely blow your mind.

Pro tip: Ask for the corn dog without chips to save $2 on your purchase.

Corn dogs can be found at many locations throughout Disneyland but are best when purchased at The Red Wagon at the end of Main Street (trust me).

Monte Cristo – $21

I know what you’re thinking, “Sophie, that’s a lot of money for a sandwich” and yes I agree, it is a lot of money BUT the Monte Cristo is one of the most famous Disneyland foods. It’s delicious, absolutely massive, and easily shareable. I didn’t believe the hype about this sandwich before I tried it, but now I want to get one every time I visit Disney. It’s crunchy, sweet, and savory. Plus, who can say no to melted cheese?

The Monte Cristo sandwich can be found at Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square (reservation recommended, they also have BOMB fries).

Bengal Barbeque – $4.50

For those of you who want a filling, affordable, and delicious meal that’s on the healthier side, Bengal Barbeque is the place for you. They specialize in barbecued skewers like chicken, beef, bacon wrapped asparagus (a favorite of mine), and pork belly. This place is really easy to miss and is never too crowded. Plus, they just added a bunch of new seating!

Bengal Barbeque can be found in Adventureland across from Indiana Jones Adventure.

Pro Tip: One meat and one vegetable skewer is more than enough for one person, so get a few kinds and share with your friends! 

Plaza Inn Fried Chicken Plate – $17.49

Another Must-Eat when I go to Disneyland, the fried chicken at Plaza Inn  is to die for. Seriously, it’s some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever had. The meat is always juicy, the chicken is crispy, the mashed potatoes amazing, and this is probably one of the only places to find real vegetables in the park. This is another pricey item, but it is easily shareable between two adults. I cannot recommend this one enough!

Plaza Inn can be found at the end of Main Street next to the entrance to Tomorrowland.

Honorable Mentions: Churros (various locations), Mickey Beignets (Mint Julep Bar in New Orleans Square), Tomato Soup/Grilled Cheese (Jolly Holiday), Adorable Snowman Treats (Pixar Pier, California Adventure), The Grey Stuff (Red Rose Taverne), and Funnel Cake (Stage Door Cafe).

Don’t Camp Out for Shows

If you’ve been to Disneyland before, you’ve probably seen people sitting on the sidewalk three hours before a parade starts. DON’T be that person! It’s honestly not worth it to spend that long waiting to get a spot for viewing the show. Disney has specific parts of the sidewalk of Main Street roped off for parade viewing. Just hop under (or over) that rope ten minutes before the parade starts and you’ll get the same exact view someone else waited two hours for. You may have to stand, but it’s worth the time that you get to spend elsewhere. The same can be done for fireworks, as long as you are about ten minutes early you should be to find a good spot.

Explore Seasonal Offerings

Disneyland always has fun things going on throughout the year, and right now they’re celebrating Halloween! Be sure to check out the huge jack-o-lantern on Main Street, Haunted Mansion Holiday (the classic ride gets invaded by Jack Skellington and friends from ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’), and special Halloween treats!

Bring a Reusable Water Bottle

This should be a no-brainer. No one wants to pay $4 for one bottle of water, and it’s bad for the environment. There are water filling stations throughout the park, and many restaurants will allow you to fill your water bottle with ice and water if you ask nicely. Save the environment and yourself by staying hydrated!

Pro Tip: ANY restaurant in the park will give you a free cup of iced water if you ask. Get free water with every meal (or throughout the day) and whatever you don’t drink, pour into your water bottle for later.

Lastly, Remember to Enjoy Yourself!

Often when I find myself going to the parks I can get stressed out and overwhelmed because I feel like I’m not enjoying myself enough. If you get tired of standing in line or being in crowds, don’t feel bad about finding to place to sit and recharge for a bit. Taking care of yourself is the key to enjoying your day and not getting cranky. It can’t be the happiest place on earth when you have a blister or aching legs.

I hope that these tips were helpful! I’ve learned so much over the years and am so glad I could share them. I hope y’all enjoy your time at Disneyland!

Hey there! I'm Sophia Villamor, I'm an English major here at LMU, and am originally from the Bay Area. I love all things Disney, makeup, and fashion related.