How to Land your First Creative Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

HOW TO LAND YOUR FIRST CREATIVE INTERNSHIP

By Jalyn Eaton

1. Polish Your Resume!

I’ve been told that contrary to popular belief, looks do, in fact, matter: Especially if you are applying to a creative internship! Take any chance that you can to show potential employers your creativity. Content matters equally as much! If you have creative experience, put an emphasis on this experience. If you’ve worked in a restaurant, that’s still a valuable experience, however if is not related to the field of the internship you’re searching for, then put that experience closer to the bottom.

2. Create a Linkedin Profile

Pay as much attention to your Linkedin profile as you do to your Instagram. This is where you build your connections. Connections are just as important as knowledge and experience, if not more.

3. Job Websites

A simple Google search will lead you to HUNDREDS of sites where you can find jobs. Try and set up some free accounts (we all love free stuff). These websites will give you alerts regarding internships that you’re looking for. In addition, some sites even give you a free resume consultation!

4. Apply, Apply, Apply!

BE OPEN MINDED. I cannot stress this enough. If you’re only looking for very specific internships (ie. production assistant for a major film studio), then you’re gonna have a tougher time finding it. Expand your interests! Don’t limit yourself to one field. Do your research! If you don’t like what a company produces… don’t apply. Don’t put yourself through an awful internship, save yourself the time and effort. That being said, be open minded. Go with your gut!

5. The Interview Process

Again, do your research. Learn everything that you can about the company (and the interviewer) so that you can have questions to ask in your interview. It’s good to have detailed, well-informed questions that let the interviewer see how much you care. Be confident. Of course this process can be a little bit intimidating, but do everything you can to make yourself more comfortable. Wear a cute outfit, have your friends ask you some practice questions and remember to breathe. At the end of the day, you’re just having a conversation.

6. Remember to Follow Up

Send a thank you email. I’ve been told that this is extremely important. It reminds the interviewer who you are and highlights the fact that you really want this internship.

Good Luck!!