This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I have never been a morning person. I despise getting up earlier than 9 a.m. and often find myself awake long after I should have gone to bed. However, I have spent the past few weeks adjusting to becoming a morning person. If I can do it, there’s no doubt in my mind that you can too. 

Set A Timer Instead of Hitting Snooze

I feel like every time I hit snooze I hardly pay attention to the time and suddenly I’ve hit snooze 5 times and I’m running late. I’ve started setting a timer instead after my first alarm that way I know exactly how long I have until I have to get up. This step also requires some effort on your part, so I feel like I can’t do it more than twice without feeling a responsibility to get up and start my day.

Simply Make Sure You Get Out of Bed 

Some days it feels almost impossible to get out of bed, especially on cold, overcast mornings. I found that physically getting up is essential to not spending the next hour in bed. Get out of your bed, go literally anywhere else, even if it means bringing a blanket and snuggling up on your couch. I don’t let myself check my phone until I’m out of bed as motivation to get up. I also found that I spend less time aimlessly scrolling in the mornings if I’m not in my bed.

Find A Good Podcast And Do Your Mindless Tasks First

I love podcasts and so in order to motivate myself to get my day started once I have gotten out of bed, I allow myself one episode to do as many easy tasks as I can, such as making my bed or unloading the dishwasher. This allows me to get things done without making me dread my mornings by jumping immediately into schoolwork. It also motivates me to do my work because I feel like I have accomplished so much, all before 10 a.m.

Use An Ice Roller

I’m obsessed with my jade roller that I keep in my freezer. Most days, I feel so tired when waking up, and rolling my face wakes me right up. It helps me feel ready to tackle the day and just generally feel a lot less groggy.

Drink Some Water!

I drink an iced cold brew every morning. I can’t handle too much caffeine but feel that I want something to sip on once that’s gone. I recently bought a set of mason jars to use as glasses that have made drinking water ridiculously fun. This helps me avoid feeling dehydrated after drinking coffee immediately after eight hours of not drinking any water. 

Make Your To-Do List Before You Go To Bed 

I write down everything I have to do the next day so I know what my schedule for the next day looks like and what my priorities should be. It also helps me fall asleep because I’m no longer anxious about having enough time for everything I need to get done because I have planned time for everything I need to do.   

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball. 
Her Campus LMU