How to Help Victims of The Woolsey Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

As a Valley girl, I was absolutely devastated to see the Woolsey Fire rip through Thousand Oaks, Agoura, Malibu, and part of the Valley this past week. The places where I grew up, the places that I knew and loved, were suddenly gone. My heart goes out to everyone affected by the fire, and while thoughts and prayers are a wonderful sentiment, there are more tangible ways of helping those affected.

Donate to Your Local Fire Station

Firefighters have been working incredibly hard over the past week, so donating to your local fire station is the best way to directly help. Fire stations are in need or wool type socks (Thorlo, Smartwool, etc.), energy/granola bars, trail mix, beef jerky, bandannas, lip balm, gallon Ziploc bags, and bottled water. You can drop off an assortment of any of these items at your local fire station. You can also make monetary donations to the Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation to help cover expenses that the city cannot provide. Donations begin at $1, because, hey, every dollar helps and even if you’re a broke college student like myself, I’m sure you can fit a dollar into your budget.

Share A Fundraiser on Facebook

If you don’t have the means to donate correctly, spread the word to people who might want to donate. Facebook’s Crisis Response Page  for the Woolsey Fires has a variety of different fundraisers which you can share with your friends to help raise money for the community.

Open Up Your Home on Airbnb

If you are able, consider opening up your home for free on Airbnb to help evacuees and relief workers have a place to stay. Find out more here.

Donate/Volunteer with The Red Cross

One of the most efficient ways to contribute to the effort is by texting CAWILDFIRES to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It takes about two minutes total, and the $10 donation is tacked on to your phone bill at the end of the month.

Have more time to spare? Apply to become a Red Cross volunteer on their website. Volunteer work includes answering and making calls, data entry and registration, supply replenishment and a variety of other things.

Donate/ Volunteer with The Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation

Animals are often forgotten in times of disaster which is why organizations like the LACACF are so important. You can make a donation and find out more about becoming a volunteer on their website.

Maya is an LA native studying political science at Loyola Marymount University. She loves dogs, iced coffee, and Dodger baseball.