How to Actually Keep Your New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

January is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start thinking about the “new you” that tends to come along with the New Year. We’ve all been there before: following our new year’s resolutions for a solid week, only to return to our own ways right after we burn out. There is nothing wrong being unable to stick to new habits; it’s hard to change after all. However it certainly is possible. If you’re looking to actually stick to your commitments this upcoming year, here are some tips to help keep you focused all year long!

1. Make specific goals

It’s hard to stick to something arbitrary. For example, “Go to the gym” is unspecific and easy to let slide because there are no fixed times. If you change your resolution to “Go to the gym 4x/week” or “No junk food 5 days/week”, then it’s much easier to stick to. Plus, if your resolution is very different from how you live your life now, it can be hard to go all out in the beginning. You can always change your resolution to fit your schedule. If you want to become a vegetarian and it feels impossible, start small. Make a resolution to only eat meat 3x/week, then slowly decrease as time progresses!

2. Reward yourself!

Working towards something is a lot easier if you know that there’s a prize involved! Make a system for yourself. Every week you follow your resolution, give yourself a prize! Whether it is a manicure, a meal at your favorite restaurant, or a mini shopping spree, give yourself a little incentive to follow through with your resolutions!

3. Don’t let a slip-up become the end

Everyone screws up. We’re human! If you get off track one day, or forget to do something, forgive yourself. It’s okay to not stick to your resolution 100% of the time. What’s not okay is to allow that to discourage yourself. Acknowledge that you didn’t stick to your goal for one day, and then get back on it the next day!

4. Know when something isn’t working for you

Sometimes, it’s okay to let go of a resolution. Resolutions should be something you want to start doing that is at least a little enjoyable! If you have to force yourself to do something, it’s going to be nearly impossible to make it a habit. If you just keep ignoring one resolution or can’t bring yourself to do it, perhaps it’s time to reevaluate. What about the resolution is so hard? Is the expectation too high? Is it something you absolutely hate? It is perfectly reasonable and encouraged to reassess your resolutions, and change/end them as you see fit.

5. Make the list before January 1st

We’ve all woken up after New Year’s Eve, not feeling’ so hot, only to realize that today is the day we want to start working on some new resolution to better ourselves. Trying to make a list of resolutions January 1st is probably not the best time (and neither is the night before!). Try to make a list a couple of days before the New Year. That way, you can really consider the things you’d like to change/improve about your life and you know exactly what those things are to kick off the New Year strong!

Remember, there are countless possibilities as to what your resolutions can be! No matter what resolutions you chose, they should be things that you enjoy doing or are changing because you want to, not because others want you to. With that said, enjoy the holiday break and have a safe and happy New Year!