This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Considering the holidays are fast approaching, that also means an ever-growing to-do list. From having to buy gifts for friends and family, to completing that 20-page term paper you’ve been pushing off until the last minute, there’s a lot on your plate. I hope to take a little bit of the weight off your shoulders by offering up a few holiday-themed date ideas for friends, significant others, or whomever you’re going to be spending the next few weeks with.

‘Tis the Season

Trader Joe’s is a college student’s best friend. They have some of the most delicious, and affordable, frozen meals, produce, and especially their seasonal treats. Take a trip with some of your friends and pick up things to Trader Joe’s is a college student’s best friend. They have some of the most delicious, and affordable, frozen meals, produce, and especially their seasonal treats. Take a trip with some of your friends and pick up things to make a four-course meal. There are brand new seasonal items from appetizers to desserts, make a night of it! Turn on some festive music while you cook, light your winter candy apple candle, and have a holiday feast that’s affordable and fun. To make it more festive, make it an ugly Christmas sweater party. 

Christmas Lights

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, so many neighborhoods are decked out with decorations. One of the perks of the sun going down at 5 pm is that there’s more than enough time to cruise around and rate the different houses in the neighborhoods surrounding you. Additionally, if you don’t want to judge other people’s lights, decorate your own space. If you live in a dorm, you and your roommate can each decorate your side of the room, may the best ‘interior designer’ win. Lights aren’t even the only decor, if you make a trip to Target, they have all kinds of decorations – and don’t worry, so many of them are in the $5 and below section right when you walk in.

Build a Fort

A tried and true activity to do with friends. Building a fort may be childish but it’s one of the most nostalgic experiences in the world. Considering its cozy season, make sure to fill it with all kinds of pillows and blankets A tried and true activity to do with friends, building a fort may be childish, but it’s one of the most nostalgic experiences in the world. Considering its cozy season, make sure to fill it with all kinds of pillows and blankets and make a night of it – slumber party even. Bust out your laptop and pick some holiday movies to burn through. Make popcorn, eat peppermint bark, and most importantly, hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped cream. 

Cookies, Seriously That’s it, Just Cookies

Most sane people love cookies. One of your options, a classic option, is making gingerbread men. Pick up some pre-made dough from the store, or if you’re feeling confident, make your own. Decorate with frosting, or any other edible decor options. Another option is to make gingerbread houses. For this one, it’s unlikely you’ll be eating them, so decorate with anything you’d like. Michael’s and grocery stores all over town are selling gingerbread-making kits, and while it may be frustrating, it’s so fun. No, I’m not done yet, I have one last option for you if gingerbread isn’t your thing. This one is a little less holiday-themed, but it’s a pretty fun activity to do any time of year. Gather some friends and see who has the best baking intuition. Everyone will make cookies without using a recipe, and may the best baker win. I would recommend buying or making some backup cookies, ones that you’ll actually enjoy eating in the case that none of your friends turn out to be a secret Betty Crocker.

Hello! I'm a Communication Studies major here at LMU set to graduate in 2023. I'm originally from the bay area and transferred in from a junior college local to my hometown. I love reading, watching movies, and spending my free time outside. Meeting new people is one of my favorite things to do, and I'm excited to be a part of HC LMU for just that reason.