Holiday Movies to Entertain you until Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

I love Halloween, but even so I am never sad to see it end because it means the beginning of the holiday season. I realize that many of you probably don’t start celebrating the holidays as soon as I do, but let me try to persuade you if just so you have enough time to watch all the cinematic gold which accompanies Christmas.  Here’s a movie for every week from now until Christmas that are, in my opinion, not to be missed.

The Nightmare before Christmas

Is it a Halloween movie? Is it a Christmas movie? I don’t know either. The solution? Watch this movie on Halloween. You can always watch it again later if you are getting more wintery vibes from the Christmas hats on the skeletons. Watching the movie now also gives you lots of time to go visit the Nightmare before Christmas version of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, where you will also get to see all the Christmas cheer that Disney has to offer – and it’s a lot.

Bad Moms Christmas

No, I did not see an advanced screening of this movie, but am willing to bet given how hilarious the original Bad Moms movie was. To summarize the original, being a parent in the world of helicopter parenting is really hard and sometimes it’s better just to give up and party. I’m expecting to see a lot of eggnog in this film,and definite present and Santa related catastrophes. The movie comes to theaters on November 1st, grab your friends and get ready to laugh.

Elf

Buddy the Elf is the most pure person I have ever seen. If you haven’t seen this classic, it should be watched immediately. If you have, you should watch it again. Buddy, played by Will Ferrell, is raised in the north pole as an elf, and when he realizes that he is in fact human decides to venture to NYC to find his father. Learning that the world is not filled with laughter and syrup is a surprise for Buddy and his journey to becoming more human while helping to spread Christmas cheer to New York is hysterical and adorable.

Love Actually

I’m including Love Actually as a must watch movie against my better judgment because all of my friends and family love this movie. I’m told it is an entertaining romantic comedy, however even after multiple attempts I still have no idea what this movie is about. If you can follow complex plots better than I, enjoy watching Love Actually on my behalf. If you want to watch it on the big screen some ArcLight cinemas around Los Angeles are showing it starting November 6th so be sure to check that out!

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter may not technically be a Christmas movie, but it will give you some serious inspiration for your holiday festivities. The yule ball is what all christmas parties should aspire to be. Also, magic and Christmas just seem related. While the fourth movie is a must watch because of the Yule ball, you could always watch the whole series if you have time. If you get caught up in the magic, you can even visit Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios starting November 24.   

How The Grinch Stole Christmas

If watching the Grinch’s heart grow doesn’t warm yours, you need to learn some lessons alongside the Grinch. The Who’s of Whoville are an integral part of Christmas and their spirit is contagious. You will be singing the carols from this movie for days after watching. Dressing up as Cindy Lou Who is also always a great twist on traditional Christmas party wear. Beware, you will want to give your dog reindeer ears and go sledding after watching this film. There’s a new version of this film coming out next holiday season, so be sure to take this chance to watch the old one a last time.

Scrooged

If you need a break from all of these movies, reading Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” is the perfect solution. With a moral not much different from the Grinch, Scrooge goes from a grumpy businessman to getting in the Christmas spirit. After reading “A Christmas Carol”, watch it come to life in Scrooged, a movie based off of the plot of Dickens. The boring businessman Scrooge has been replaced in this narrative by a career-driven T.V. executive, but the necessity of finding love of others in the season of cheer is as touching as ever.

The Santa Clause

The Santa Clause is the perfect film to watch with your family this season. Return to your childhood with kid-friendly flick without being bored for a second. The Santa Claus is witty and original, following the life story of a man who accidentally kills Santa and then has to replace him while continuing to live his everyday life. If you like this movie as much as I do, there are two sequels you can watch to follow lovable Tim Allen as Santa for even longer.

White Christmas

White Christmas lets you visit an idyllic time of Christmases past. The 1954 musical tells a story of two couples falling in love when they meet at the women’s performances. The dance and song numbers are entertaining and incredibly impressive. Starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen, you will fall in love with these characters and every second of their performances and plans to make the undersold inn they are staying at into the perfect holiday escape.