samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Here’s How to Stop Freaking Before Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

You know that feeling when you’re on your third oat milk latte (or maybe just on espresso shots at this point), you’ve read the same paragraph three times over, and you think your brain might explode and release all the information you’ve been studying for the past week into space?

Let’s talk about balance. This past semester, I watched my friends sacrifice both their mental and physical health for activities that they didn’t even enjoy. Happiness levels? Subpar. Thriving status? Not. I’m a firm believer that campus involvements should bring smiles, not stress. So, when obligations begin to impede well-being, it’s time to evaluate priorities. 

As someone who thrives on busyness, I have realized how important it is to take time to do the things you love, like going to a movie or the beach, baking cookies, or playing music. If you’ve been spending all your time during the week in the library, treat yourself to a night out on the weekend. Have a fancy dinner with friends. Go to a party. Allowing yourself both work and play are key for health and wellness. Too much of either can be damaging for relationships and contribute to feelings of isolation and loneliness, which only enhance stress. Study tip: planning ahead, in terms of writing a paper or designating study hours, helps me to feel more in control of my life schedule. 

Right now, as students, we’re in a bit of a grace period. Before finals season hits hard, I strongly encourage you to relax, to have fun, to stop thinking about that paper that’s due in three weeks for a night. You deserve it. Now go do a face mask!

Sophomore Film/TV Production major and Screenwriting minor at LMU from Michigan. When not in class, watching a movie, or writing an article, can be found drinking iced coffee, playing classical guitar, trying new restaurants, or belting lyrics at a concert.